Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Search this site and our local communities. Wisconsin History Search Only

You may now join, or renew your SLAHS membership using your PayPal account, credit, or debit card.

Please use the following link to make a secure on-line payment.

Home
About Us
Search this site
History
Genealogy
Museum
Membership
Monetary Donations

Artifact Donations

Buy A Brick Donation

Fundraiser Letter

Notable Links
Antiqibles
Index to Wisconsin Brewery and Related Articles
   

   

Willow Spring School History

Transcribed and edited by Michael R. Reilly

Updated 01/03/2006

Original Willow Spring stone schoolhouse - torn down in 1926

The Last Class at Willow Springs?

    

    New School for Willow Spring in Menomonee

    Construction to Begin soon. School Will then Become State Graded. 

Menomonee - Recently 105 of the voters of Willow Spring district in this township authorized the school board to proceed immediately with the construction of a new, two-teacher building at a cost not to exceed $15,000. This will replace the present Lannon-stone building that has served this progressive community for over 60 years. It was here that hundreds of Menomonee people secured their education.

Building Complete

    The following building committee was selected to handle the new building project: John Gill, clerk; Frank Pfeil, director; Edward Somers, treasurer; John Miller, and Louis Buckholz. County Superintendent A. C. Tews assisted with all of the legal details. More land will be purchased so as to add to the school site. William J. Redden, school architect of Racine, Wis., was employed to prepare the plans and specifications, advertise for bids, and superintend the construction. Contract bids will be opened at the schoolhouse at 8:00p.m. Tuesday, June 8.

Will Have All Conveniences

    The new building will be 48x44 feet; one story and basement. Besides the two standard class-rooms, the main floor will contain two clock-rooms, one library, and one kitchenette for serving hot lunches to the children. The basement, which will not be far below ground, will contain a large, well lighted room for a play-room and community gatherings, hot air heating system, indoor toilets, and ample store-rooms. The exterior walls will be of pressed brick selected by the committee The capacity of the building will be 90 pupils, but provisions have been made for possible future additions. This move will raise the standing of Willow spring from a rural district to a state graded school district which will be of great advantage to the district. Miss Catherine O'Keefe is the present teacher.

The Willow Spring schoolhouse is between Lannon and Sussex on Highway 74.

Waukesha Freeman, May 24, 1926

 

Home / About Us  / Membership / Search this site

Copyright Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc., , 2002 - 2016, Except as noted: All documents placed on the SLAHS.org website remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, these documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. They may be used by non-commercial entities, when written permission is obtained from the contributor, so long as all notices and submitter information are included. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit. Any other use, including copying files to other sites, requires permission from the contributors PRIOR to uploading to the other sites. The submitter has given permission to the SLAHS.org website to store the file(s) for free access. Such permission may be revoked upon written notice to the SLAHS.org website webmaster. Website's design, hosting, and maintenance are donated by Website Editor & Webmaster: Michael R. Reilly (Mike)