History of Education in Lannon Area; Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Edited by Mike Reilly, c. November 6, 2000
Consolidation: The Hamilton School District Formation Thru 1989
1960 - On March 8th, the "Pursch farm" is chosen as the site of the new Hamilton High School and on March 21st was purchased for $40,584.75
1961 - a new church addition is built in the basement of the St. James Catholic School.
1962: Fall - Hamilton High School opens with 375 Freshmen and Sophomore students. (Question - Did the HS open with ONLY freshmen and sophomores? If yes, why? If no, were all District students previously attending Menomonee Falls, Waukesha, or other high schools required to transfer to Hamilton or allowed to complete their Senior year there?
1962 - Willow Springs School becomes part of the newly formed Hamilton School District.
1963 - the "Hamilton Area Schools, Joint District #16, of the Towns of Lisbon, Pewaukee, Villages of Butler, Lannon, Menomonee Falls, and Sussex, Waukesha County" is created.
1968-69: Mrs Wolfe is the kindergarten teacher at Willow Springs School.
1970/Apr. - St. James Catholic Church Grade School has announced that it would close in June. It has been operating since 1956.
/Oct. - 280 students enrolled at Lannon School, more than twice the number in 1945.
/July - Sale of surplus equipment at St. James Grade School. It operated as an 8 grade school from 1956 (1954?) to the late 1950's when it dropped to 1st-5th grades.
May, 1985 - Village requests State approval to allow Lannon School to use an existing holding tank until sewer can be established. The 5,000 gal. tank has to be pumped nearly every day.
1982 - with declining student enrollment the Willow Springs school is closed.
1985 - Quad/Graphics leases the Willow Springs school as a day care center for its' employees.
In at least 1987, there were too many kindergarten students for Lannon to handle, so some had to attend class at Maple Avenue School in Sussex, then go back to Lannon for 1st Grade in Sept. 1982 The students had Mrs. Jan Wunrow at Maple Ave.
1989 - At Lannon: Besides Mrs. Olson and Mrs. Vermillion each teaching a 1st grade class, there was a third 1st and 2nd Grade split/combined class with Karen Thompson as teacher.
1989 - the Willow Springs school is reopened for kindergarten classes.
Reference Sources: "From Farmland to Freeways: A History Of Waukesha County" edited by Ellen D. Langill and Jean Penn Loerke; the article "The History of Education in Waukesha County" by Ellen D. Langill; "Public Education in Wisconsin" by Conrad C. Patzer, Superintendent of Practice Teaching - Milwaukee State Normal School, 1924. Issued by John Callahan, Wisconsin State Superintendent of Schools; "Memoirs of Waukesha County", Theron W. Haight, editor, 1907; the works of local historian Fred Keller, some of them printed or reprinted in the Sussex Sun newspaper; and the microfilm Menomonee Falls News articles and "Glimpses of Menomonee Falls - Past and Present" - Menomonee Falls School History contributed by Carol Wildt, at the Maude Shunk Library; and the microfilm Waukesha Freeman articles at the Waukesha Public Library; plus the historical archives held by the Waukesha County Historical Society Museum; in addition to interviews with current or former Lannon residents: Keith Richard Gissal, Donald E. Miller, Shirley DeLorm (nee Wandsneider), and other individual input.