Posted: Aug. 3, 2010
100 years ago - Aug. 4, 1910
Frank Lenz died in late July in an industrial accident. He was run over by a road steam engine as he was taking gravel to the Bug Line train siding. He was attempting to oil the engine and fell off the seat and was crushed by the big road wheel.
50 years ago - Aug. 4, 1960
The Sussex summer playground had a tour of the Lannon Nike site.
One-hundred-twenty-seven Sussex children were guests of the U.S. Army at the Menomonee Avenue/Lannon Road complex.
There was an Aug. 12 kiddie parade to close out the Sussex playground activities. Red, white and blue ribbons were awarded to the top entrants.
25 years ago - Aug. 4, 1985
Ossie Monacelli, 72, died in Lannon. As master stone cutter he was the owner of the Monacelli Stone Quarry.
The Lannon Fire Department had a practice fire at the Mill Road Becker Stock Farm.
The cost to swim in the Sussex Quarry was 50 cents or one could buy a family pass for the season for $5.
Les Nettesheim was named the equipment manager at Carroll College.
10 years ago - Aug. 4, 2000
Leonard and Lorraine Joecks of Lannon celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary this year.
The Lannon recall election turned into a primary as three were running: Beverly Felten, Wendy Dahms and Daryl Fiene Sr.
The Sussex Department of Public Works put up a concession sales/bathroom building at Armory Park using mainly summer help plus park leadership.
Five years ago - Aug. 4, 2005
The Halquist Stone Co. strike since July 13 had a union/company talk stall. Halquist complained that the union did not let its members vote on the company's last contract proposal.
The Lisbon Fire Department had two new lieutenants, Andrew Kopplin and Andrew Brahm.