Pages from the Past
Posted: Sussex Sun, November 19, 2008
By Fred Keller, Sussex Village Historian
100 years ago — 1908
Edward W. Weaver, a farmer on the old Thomas Weaver property at Lisbon Road and Maple Avenue, ran an ad offering “Fancy Shropshire sheep, Berkshire hogs and barred Plymouth Rock chickens. Mail orders are promptly attended to.”
50 years ago — 1958
Sussex decided to rent the the village constable’s two-way squad car radio and split the cost evenly with Lisbon. Lisbon could sell its share back for 90 percent of its cost if it ever decided to buy its own squad car.
Milton Mantz, who umpired the Sussex Athletic Club’s softball league, ran a Farmers Mutual insurance business out of his home on Waukesha Avenue.
25 years ago — 1983
Colgate’s community pet turkey was killed when it was hit by a car while walking on Highway Q.
Mike Hyland was the coach of the Hamilton girls basketball team.
As a result of misconduct by four of its players, the Templeton Middle School girls basketball team canceled four games.
10 years ago — 1998
Kathy Gotthardt donated her 48th pint of blood in 48 years at the annual Sussex Lioness blood drive.
The Lannon Lions Club installed playground toys at Joecks Field.
Maple Avenue School teacher Terry Fojtik replaced the historical marker for Lisbon’s first teacher, Melinda Weaver (1813-1886). The marker has since been lost.
5 years ago — 2003
The Olde Country Floral Shoppe (the old Davidson home) on Main Street was razed. The Villas at Maplewood Terrace built condos on and behind the former flower shop site.
Lisbon Plan Commissioner Michael Reed fought the appointment of a full-time Lisbon fire chief.
Former Lisbon farmer John Opsahl, died at 87.