Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Search this site and our local communities. Wisconsin History Search Only

You may now join, or renew your SLAHS membership using your PayPal account, credit, or debit card.

Please use the following link to make a secure on-line payment.

Home
About Us
Search this site
History
Genealogy
Museum
Membership
Monetary Donations

Artifact Donations

Buy A Brick Donation

Fundraiser Letter

Notable Links
Antiqibles
Index to Wisconsin Brewery and Related Articles
   
 

Index to Year 2008

Pages from the Past

Posted: Sussex Sun, December 24, 2008

100 years ago — 1908

Sussex jeweler Allen H. Small sold and repaired watches, clocks and jewelry.

The Sussex Brook Hotel was owned and operated by Paul E. Schroeder.

The manager of the Sussex Elevator was John R. Small.

50 years ago — 1958

Smoked ham cost 45 cents a pound.

A dance recital at the Sussex Community Hall was attended by 250 parents and spectators. The dance lessons were part of the 12-week Sussex Playground (Recreation) Committee program for boys and girls at Sussex Main Street School.

25 years ago — 1983

Kevin Kronber’s basket at the gun provided the Hamilton boys basketball team with a 47-45 win over archrival Menomonee Falls North.

The Sussex Fire Department took delivery of a new 1,000-gallon pumper fire truck at a cost of $123,000.

The Lisbon Town Board expressed eagerness about moving forward with a study of consolidation with Sussex

10 years ago — 1998

The Hamilton School District considered starting a 4-year-old kindergarten may at the Willow Spring Learning Center.

The Lisbon Presbyterian Church featured a drive-through living nativity diorama.

A memorial tree for Laurie Swartz, wife of Sussex Village Administrator Chris Swartz, was planted at the Sussex Village Civic Center. She had died suddenly at age 46.

5 years ago — 2003

Thieves targeted Christmas decorations in Sussex frontyards.

Margaret Joecks of Lannon died at age 91.

Volunteer Mike Reed did a major remodeling of the new Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society Museum, including a Kewpie Doll cove. (Kewpies were a major trademark of the Mammoth Spring Canning Co. in old Sussex.)

Home / About Us  / Membership / Search this site

Copyright Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc., , 2002 - 2016, Except as noted: All documents placed on the SLAHS.org website remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, these documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. They may be used by non-commercial entities, when written permission is obtained from the contributor, so long as all notices and submitter information are included. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit. Any other use, including copying files to other sites, requires permission from the contributors PRIOR to uploading to the other sites. The submitter has given permission to the SLAHS.org website to store the file(s) for free access. Such permission may be revoked upon written notice to the SLAHS.org website webmaster. Website's design, hosting, and maintenance are donated by Website Editor & Webmaster: Michael R. Reilly (Mike)