100 years ago — 1908
The pastor of Lisbon Presbyterian Church was the Rev. C.W. Tarr.
The local telephone company had this rule: “Do not hold the line over three minutes, five at the most.”
50 years ago — 1958
The Sussex Village Board met with some angry villagers who opposed acquiring the 78-acre parkland west of the village. The board pointed out that the $36,000 cost would be somewhat mitigated with the sale of the old baseball-softball field to the school district for $12,000 and the sale of the old Lisbon Town Hall to a private party for $4,500.
25 years ago — 1983
The third annual Whiskey Corners Buffalo Chip Throwing Contest drew more than 100 participants to fling buffalo dung.
Aqua Pools suffered a major fire, with damage estimated at $175,000.
Reiner Nettesheim was honored at the annual Old Engine Show at Sussex Village Park.
Sussex Sentry on Main Street failed to get a liquor license from the Village Board.
10 years ago — 1998
The Sussex population grew from 5,039 in 1990 to 7,675 in 1998, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
Pauline Haass Public Library held a flower show, with Library Director Joy Boots serving as one of the judges.
The Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department investigated a fire that burned school toys at Maple Avenue School.
Bob Geiser of Sussex visited the Peasmarsh Church in England, where pioneer couple James and Mary Weaver married in 1800. (James is considered the father of Sussex-Lisbon.)
5 years ago — 1993
The Lisbon Town Board voted to take down the fence around Pioneer Richmond Cemetery.
Sussex and Lisbon continued to grow, with the village boasting 9,351 residents and Lisbon 9,595.
Fred Eimermann was hired as Hamilton’s new football coach, replacing Chargers legend Stan Grove.