100 years ago — 1908
The priest at St. James Catholic Church on Townline Road was the Rev. Paul E. Scheidel.
Two telephone companies served Sussex, Lisbon and Templeton: the Pewaukee Sussex Telephone Co. under President A.T. Weaver and the Lisbon Telephone Co. under President William D. McGill.
50 years ago — 1958
Dutch Elm disease hit the Lisbon area.
Farmers & Merchants Bank’s Sussex branch celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Sussex bought a 78-acre parcel west of the village from the Kufalk farm as a village park for about $36,800.
Rose Samanske’s monkey took home the blue first-place ribbon at a pet show at a Sussex playground.
25 years ago — 1983
The Lisbon Town Board rejected a petition to move the 112-year-old William Graeves home from Lisbon Road and Waukesha Avenue to another site in the town. Vulcan Materials owned the two-story stone home that Elm Grove builder Robert Novak wanted to save. All that’s left is the cornerstone, which was given to the Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society in 2007.
10 years ago — 1998
The Lannon Stonemen’s Ron Kozlowski was the leading hitter in the team’s Land O’ Lakes division as it played for the LOL championship again.
The Sussex Baseball Hall of Fame inducted Dick Titus, a pitcher on the Sussex LOL grand championship team of 1973.
After a dry July, two early-August rains caused floods.
5 years ago — 2003
Lannon nixed a two-year tax freeze on a 2-2 vote. Village President Bob Winters and Trustee Caroline Ames voted for the freeze. They were defeated in the next election (presumably for other reasons).
A Sussex man was scammed out of his expensive motorcycle with a fake cashier’s check.
Martin Jannsen was named Boy Scouts of America Central Region president.
St. John’s of Lannon offered full-day kindergarten classes.