Lots 69 & 70 History
Compiled and Edited by Mike Reilly
The following history wouldn't have been possible without Virginia Ackmann loaning me the Abstract of Title for the property she once owned in Lannon. Virginia and her late husband, then son Tim, owned lots 69 & 70 from 1969 until July, 2000.
I've boiled down the dozens of pages into a more compact chronological survey of events, people and companies. These two lots were only a portion of what was platted by The Hadfield Company in 1891; much of the early information may be applicable to any number of these others. The original Abstract of Title was for property containing 80 acres. Over a period of time the land has been owned by many persons, but in the 1800's it was owned primarily by one man, John Cusack. This man mortgaged the entire property or portions of it to various individuals for over 50 years. What isn't known is whether he lived on the property (with his family) alone, or those to whom he provided mortgages to, also built a home (s) on the land or lived in his residence. More information will have to be delved into to determine what life was like on the 80 acres, and how this acreage became part of the total land area that Hadfield had platted in 1891.
Abstract of Title description - Lots 69 & 70, Plat of Hadfield, now Lannon, in the Southeast quarter (SE 1/4) of the Southeast quarter (SE 1/4) of Section Eighteen (18), Township Eight (8) North, of Range Twenty (20) East, containing 80 acres.
The above from the Tract Book in the Office of the Register of Deeds in and for the Waukesha County, Wisconsin.
May 16, 1847 - First recorded entry by Michael Dormody (probably the first official government survey results.
The initial owner, a John Cusack, has no recorded transaction listed in the Abstract as purchasing the 80 acres, and is first mentioned in Vol. 3 on page 228 as owner in a Quit Claim Deed process to one Daniel G. Deissner for $200 (Charles F. Falley is listed as the Justice of the Peace in the proceeding). on Nov. 17, 1849. John Cusack remains the 80 acre property owner until 1888. But as you'll see below, many individuals sought to own it during this time. Some of these people may have been issued mortgages from the primary mortgagee who in turn paid Cusack. It's unclear as to whether, John Cusack and his family actually lived on the property along with all of these others, and they built homes and farm buildings to work from, or they lived within his own home. Perhaps more can be learned from some of the early census records?
Around November 1850, Daniel G. Deissner passes away and the mortgage is transferred to his widow (a Charles Th. Deissner, is listed as executor, who happens to be the Justice of the Peace in 1854).
In 1854, Cusack's wife name is revealed - Mary, when the mortgage is assumed by C. Augh. Mehner.
April 25, 1855 - Passes to Henry Austerman for $244.
Dec. 13, 1856 - Passes to John Hodgson for $350. Charles Th. Deissner is listed as the Justice of the Peace.
In Jan. 1859, Hodgson appears to have taken a loan (?) for $75 which is added to the mortgage (?).
March 1859 finds money exchanging hands between one Cyrus S. Davis and John Cusack first for $50, then $110 in 1860, then for $676 in 1864. In 1868, Davis certifies that the mortgage to Cusack is paid in full, then John Hodgson assumes it once again for $676 (Why?)
Sometime between 1868 and June 6, 1870, John Hodgson dies and wife Esther E. is released of the mortgage by Cusack who is also listed as a widower for the first time.
On June 6, 1870, a $840 mortgage is issued to James Moore. In 1874, Feb. 28th., Cyrus S. Davis is back in the picture with a mortgage of $344. Later, both are released of the mortgages by Cusack on Jan. 1, 1875 when Eliza Stoltz acquires the property (still the original 80 acres for a mortgage value of $1,272.75. It appears to be refinanced three years later for the sum of $1,431.00 wh9ich is paid in full (?) by Eliza Stoltz in another three years, 1881. This transaction also shows that Eliza is the wife of George Stoltz.
On April 7, 1888, John Cusack sells his 80 acres to son Daniel Cusack for the sum of $4,600. It seems that John wants Daniel to pay off (?) Eliza Stoltz's mortgage of $1,600 (out of the $4,600), then pay John the $3,000 balance before 10 years time at an interest rate of 5% on the balance. Daniel is to pay at least $100 by the 7th of April each year. Daniel is also to cloth and support John on their property or any other place that John felt suitable. The last condition was to keep the building, fences, and improvements in good repair.
September 30, 1889 - a warranty deed is recorded selling 80 acres by John and Daniel Cusack to The Hadfield Company (Incorporated) for $7,000. (Editor's Note - On November 30, 1886, Joseph Hadfield (pres.), Abram H. Hadfield (sec.), and George A. Hadfield (of Milwaukee) form The Hadfield Company. The corporation had an initial stock value of $200,000 divided into 200 shares of $1,000 each. The company's purpose was the quarrying, manufacture, buying, selling and dealing in stone, and the manufacture of lime and building materials, and the buying, selling, and exchanging and dealing in real estate, coal, fuel, and general merchandise.)
Dec. 10, 1889, The Hadfield Company warranty deeds to The Milwaukee, Menomonee Falls, and Western Railway Company (a Wisconsin railway corporation) a 60 ft strip of land for railroad track and spurs. (Editor's Note - by 3/8/1892, the above railway is the Milwaukee and Superior Railway Company.)
On March 7, 1892, all land except for that owned by the railway, August Schulz, and one Charles Struve is sold to The Menomonee Falls Quarry Company which was owned by Winfield Smith, Henry Herman, Abram H. Hadfield and Samuel Rosendale in Milwaukee. The company was worth $100,000 in 1,000 shares worth $100 each.
By July 1894, lots 71, 76, 77, 78, 79, and 80 have all been conveyed (sold?).
John Cusack dies on January 2, 1894 and if the record is correct - is buried at St. James cemetery. Daniel Cusack then assigns a mortgage to Margaret McMahon for $2,900. For what is unknown? Margaret McMahon then applies mortgage to George H. Hook for $3,060.
August 30, 1897, Eliza Stoltz assigns the mortgage to a George H. Hook for $1,661.33 (Editor's Note - What this consists of is believed to be lots 69 and 70.) By Dec. 19, 1901, George H. Hook is released from the mortgage by Daniel Cusack and The Hadfield Company (Editor's Note - It may be that sometime before 3/26/1890, most of the 80 acres was acquired by The Hadfield Company, then sold to its' subsidiary, The Menomonee Falls Stone Company by warranty deed for $20,500. This transaction was platted with Eliza Stoltz as the owner (?) of lots 69 & 70 with mortgage of $1,600 and with George H. Hook or Hiles' two mortgages, $10,000 and $5,000. He dies after 1901 and later on May 19, 1925, one Fred A. Bartelt is claiming ownership of lots 69 & 70 ?) Further note - Joseph Hadfield is pres. and Geo. A. Hadfield, sec., of the The Menomonee Falls Stone Company which was incorporated c. 2/7/1890, a corporation of Milwaukee, with the same purpose as The Hadfield Company, with a stock value of $100,000 in 1, 000 shares of equal value.
By Dec. 1894, lots 8, 67, 71, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 and 81 have all been conveyed (sold?).
Dec. 10, 1898, The Menomonee Falls Quarry Company sells all land, except for the lots mentioned in 1894 above, to the Menomonee Falls - Lannon Stone Company, owned by Henry Herman (pres.), George I. Lindsay, and Henry Lindsay to be headquartered in Milwaukee. The company's purpose is to buy, sell, trade in and manufacture all kinds of stone, lime, and building materials, to acquire, own, buy and sell, lease and dispose of real property; to quarry, mine, and develop deposits of stone or mineral upon its' own or other properties, and to market the productions thereof, to cut , handle, buy, sell and deal in ice and other merchantable commodities; to buy, build, acquire, sell. lease and dispose of houses and buildings upon its' own or other lands, and for the purposes aforesaid to do and perform any and all necessary acts. Capitalized at $100,000 in 1,000 shares of equal value.
By May 1900, The Hadfield Company is going through bankruptcy and three stone companies (The Menomonee Falls Quarry Company, Menomonee Falls - Lannon Stone Company, and a third previously unmentioned, the Menomonee Falls Stone Company, which was probably a later name for one already mentioned) are listed as defendants in the proceedings (all of which are absolved of wrong doing and acquire the assets of Hadfield.
December 18, 1900 - the Menomonee Falls Lannon Stone Company mortgages lots 69 & 70 to Otto R. Hanson. Who in turn mortgages the property to George P. Miller on Nov. 17, 1903.
Lorenz and Anna Ackermann buy the property on Jan. 1, 1905 and it's believed that the present existing house was built on the lots sometime soon after. At the time of purchase, booth Ackermanns sign their names in German. Lorenz appears to borrow $9,000 from his father or brother Fred in 1907, but is repaid by 1914. To repay the loan, Lorenz may have borrowed money from one Pauline Schulz or Schadler on March 16, 1914.
On July 23, 1928, Anna is suing Lawrence (Lorenz) Ackermann for divorce and has moved out of the house and moved to 410 Greenfield Ave. in Milwaukee. From the Menomonee Falls News 1929/2/8 - Because her husband soaked her with kerosene and attempted to kill her, Anna Ackermann received a divorce from Lawrence Ackermann upon grounds of cruel and inhuman treatment. The two have property valued at $7,000 according to the plaintiff. In a counter suit, the defendant alleged that his wife insisted that Robert Manake live and board with them and that she has been seeking Manake's company. He also denied that he had property valued at more than $2,500. The plaintiff was awarded a decree and had her maiden name before marriage restored, which was Anna Gossfeld. Lawrence was restrained from bothering her and ordered to pay her $12 a week alimony.
In 1928 the Ackermanns are legally divorced, and Lawrence has to pay his ex-wife a $500 settlement; this probably causes him to lose the property to
By Jan. 23, 1930, it seems that Pauline wants out of the deal and may have already mortgaged part or all of the property to John Walter and his wife. But Ackermann still wants to live there so he borrows $2,000 from his brother Otto and his wife Bertha. A mortgage transaction occurs between Otto Ackermann and John Becker.
During April 1945, Steve and Rose Mary Kindler purchase the property from the Walters for $2,500 which is paid off by Nov. 5, 1956. On Aug. 17, 1961, they sell to James W. and Elsie L. Burg. The Burg's first get their mortgage note from the same institution as where the Kindler's had theirs', the "Local Savings and Loan Association" of Menomonee Falls. This became the "Menomonee Falls Savings & Loan Corporation" in 1958; then became the "First Federal Savings and Loan Association" in 1963.
In 1962, the property above was surveyed.
On August 15, 1969, Elsie L. Burg, now a widow, sells the lots to Glenn W. and Virginia Ackmann; the mortgage holder is the "Catholic Knoghts Insurance Society". Their address is listed as 20501 W. Main St. Lannon, WI. 53046.
Due to Glenn's illness, Virginia sells the house to son Timothy Ackmann on Feb. 29, 1996 who holds onto it until June 6, 2000 when he sells it to Robert and Lisa Thompson.
Added Notes about the property:
Virginia Ackmann says the house originally (?) had a front basement entry that lead down to a tavern bar ? She also says that there are concrete slabs toward the rear south lot line of #70. The garage is actually located on lot 69. The was an outhouse in the back which was used by a neighbor to dispose of old oil (?) - Said it kept the rats away! (Editor's Note - But what did it do to the ground water?)
Was it Steve and Rose Mary Kindler who owned "Kindler's Filling Station" on the the southeast corner of Main and Good Hope Rd.?