(in chronological order)
After Incorporation 1930 - 1959
Compiled and Edited by Michael R. Reilly
Last Revised 05/02/2005
1930/2/14: MFN - Lannon Village Elects Officers: Electors Choose First Set at Special Election - Waukesha County's youngest village set about in an orderly way to give expression of their choice for the first officers to be chosen to conduct the business of that municipality at a special election, Tuesday, February 11th.
A total of 65 votes were cast and the following were elected to serve for the period from the date of the election to the first Tuesday in April of this year, when there will be a regular annual election of officers as provided under the Statutes. The following were chosen:
President - Al Meade; Supervisor - Al Meade; Trustees - John Wessner, Theodore Gollner, Otto Rossman, Cuno Quartaro, Louis Gissal, Wm. Miller; Clerk - Charles DeLany; Assessor - Glen D. Harmon; Treasurer - Frank Berschens; Justice of the Peace - R.M. Frawley; Constable - Percy Schultz.
Mr. Meade the new president, has has years of experience in the capacity of Supervisor on the County Board. Under the law the same individual can act as president and supervisor.
1930/March - The Wisconsin Lannon Stone Company was awarded a contract to furnish stone for a $1,250,000 building at the University of Toledo. The company competed with quarries in Indiana and the eastern U.S.
The newly-incorporated Village of Lannon contracted with Wisconsin Gas and Electric to install 14 street lights. The lights are to be hung in the center of the streets and at intersections.
/3/14 - The Why and Wherefore of the "Lannon New" This issue marks the initial appearance of the "Lannon News" and it might not be amiss to summarize briefly its necessity of being, its' aims and objectives.
Every live and growing community needs a newspaper as a vital part of its' scheme of advancement. Lannon, although too small to support a newspaper entirely on its' own, is able to enjoy a very acceptable substitute through an arrangement with Mr. C.W. Fraser, publisher of the Menomonee Falls News, whereby a section of the paper has been allotted to us, to be edited and managed here, and used to advance the interests of Lannon.
- the Lannon Cinch Club met at the home of Mrs. Wm. Hilger last Thursday. Prizes were won by Mrs. Schneider, Mrs. Pohl and Mrs. Hecker.
- Next Saturday evening at seven o'clock another educational program will be broadcast over WTMJ on the "For All Wisconsin" series of programs. Mr. C.P. Heil , head of the Dept of Age and Markets of Madison, will be the principle speaker. His talk will be entitled "The New Department of Agriculture and Markets" This program has been arranged by Mrs. O.V. Fragstein, Lannon Fields, who is the state radio chairman of the Wisconsin League of Women Voters.
1930/April - Play Ball! The local Lannon baseball team under managers Ervin Miller and E.W. Cullen, will be a member of the Menomonee Valley Baseball League. The team was again granted permission by John Ohrt of the Davis Bros. Stone Company to use company land north of the village for a ball park (The site is now Joeck's Memorial Field and Lannon Village Park)
1930's - The Lannon Village Board holds meetings at the present day (October, 2000) China Doll Inc., 20481 W. Main St.
1930's: early - Keith Gissal remembers (as a little boy) when Charles Busse drove through Lannon in the "Meat Wagon" on Meat Market day, handing out free wieners and a slice of bologna to the kids. (Busse operated a butcher shop in Sussex from 1910 to 1957.)
Lannon had 4-H Clubs for boys and girls - in 1938 Mrs. E. Schultz and Mrs. A. Strube were the girls' leaders - More information on both?
How about the Lannon 500 Club? (Editor's Note - Club was in existence prior to 1931.)
Or the Lannon Bridge Club? Cinch Club?
1930's - Reporters for the Menomonee Falls News were Mrs. A.C. Strube (? - 1938), Leona Schalla (circa 1938), and Helen Grgich (circa 1939).
1931/Apr. - the Potawatomi Area Council No. 651 for local Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts was formed as part of Region No. 7. (Note - during the week of March 4th in 1997, the Council held its' 65th Annual meeting)
1933/April - Lannon Grenadiers were defeated by Jansen's Basketeers by a 27-10 count in a game played at Bert Phillips. Mathiak scored four points and Lemke followed with three. Golner had two and Loden one. Rossman and Monacelli failed to score. Loden suffered a cut lip in a collision with Hecker and was forced to leave the game and go to a doctor for medical attention.
In the April election, Lannon went almost unanimously wet when 101 voted for repeal of the 18th Amendment. Somehow or other, there were 8 votes against repeal!
The Lannon Red Birds held a reorganization meeting. Ted Golner was reappointed manager and Doc Lemke was elected field captain. Golner was also reappointed secretary and treasurer, with Norman Mathiak and Harlan Hecker elected to help check over finances.
May 11, 1935 - Boy Scout Troop 25's application for charter was filled out by a "Group of Citizens" with Louis Gissal as its' "Group Chairman". According to the application, the new troop would have regular meetings at the Village Hall in Lannon on Mondays. The application lists Seth Pollard, age 34, occupation - road contractor: Chicago, as the new Scoutmaster, with Lester Golner, age 27, occupation - quarry office, and Millard Pollard, age 19, no occupation listed, as the Assistant Scoutmasters. The Troop Committee consisted of Louis Gissal, age 40, occupation - quarry superintendent, as Chairman, with A.P. Walter, age 38, occupation - real estate and livestock, and Herman Gruetzmacher Jr., age39, occupation - stone cutter, as members. Troop 25 belonged to the Potawatomi Area Council No. 651 Region 7, which was formed in Waukesha on April 23, 1931, serving Waukesha, and parts of Jefferson, Dodge, and Walworth counties. Richard Leland was the Scout Executive at the time of charter which would expire on June 30, 1936, if not renewed. Each adult member or Scouter, and Scout, the boy, had to pay a yearly membership dues of $1.00, of which 50 cents was to cover a year's subscription to the publication Scouting.
The first boys to join Troop 25 were John J. Butina (age in yrs/mos. - 14/0, Benjamin DeQuardo (age 13/6), Walter E. Fucik (age 12/10), Anthony J. Grgich (age 17/2), David L. Grgich (age 14/10), Keith R. Gissal (age 15/4), Arthur H. Gruetzmacher (age 14/11), Chas. F. Hilger (age 13/0), John J. Miller (age 13/4), William J. Miller (age 15/6), Paul J. McCarty (age 16/11), Joseph Wagner (age 13/5), Joseph A. Walter (age 13/2), and Richard R. Walsh (age 16/2).
The charter application notes the following - "Note: How many of the boys are - Negro (X); Chinese (X); Japanese (X); Mexican (X); Indian (X). Population of Town or City if under 100,000 - 434 (in Village of Lannon). Is Troop in open country - Yes. How many farm boys - 1." (To learn more about Scouting in Lannon click here.)
1936/Nov.29 - William P. Lannon, eldest of the five Lannon children dies. Lived on Mill Rd., east of present day Whiskey Corners.
1937/June 30 - Troop 25 is dropped from the active troop list by the Potawatomi Area Council. Reasons for drop were due to lack of leadership, without a Scoutmaster for at least 6 months and an Assistant Scoutmaster for over one year.
1939 - Lannon Coal & Ice Co., phone "7811", had a yard on the Bug Line.
1938 /Dec. - Boy Scout Troop 25 is reorganized with Lannon State Graded School PTA as the sponsor. Principal Philip Pejza submits the registration form to the Potawatomi Area Council No. 651 Region No. 7. The Troop will meet in the Club Room at the old school on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. Two Patrols were initially formed: Eagle Patrol consisting of Patrol Leader Gerald DeLany, Assistant PL Syd Gissal, scouters Myron DeLany, Francis Boyle, Melvin Golner, and James Duncan; and the Wolf Patrol consisting of Patrol Leader Jerry Walter, Assistant PL William Guis, scouters Donald Cawly, John Walsh, Vernon Lemke, Carmon Cirrillo, Louis Fischer, Frederich Richard Fischer, Joseph Walsh, and Norman Wildt. Melvin Mathiak became a scout in troop in March 1940 but dropped in February 1941 due to lack of interest. Troop 25 was rechartered by the School at least through 1942.
1940's - the St. James' St. Monica's Circle evolves into the Christian Women Society.
1943/3/1 - General food rationing begun; sugar and coffee were already being rationed.
/8/8 - Volunteer Fire Company had its' 26th annual picnic at the Lake Five Hotel (Roadside ?). Music, games and refreshments were available.
1944/Dec - the Richard Walsh family received word that their son John was wounded in France and had his leg amputated. John was a member of the Lannon High School graduating class of 1941 (two year high school).
1945/Jan - The Willow Spring School 4-H Club was headed by president Barbara Barrett and vice-president Melvin Metzger.
/Mar. - A popular outery was to go to the "Milk Jug" on Bluemound Rd. owned by the Golden Guernsey Dairy Co-op.
/Apr. - Elizabeth Flanagan, wife of Lannon postmaster and grocery store owner, died after a couple days of illness.
/May - St. John's celebrates 50th anniversary with 335 members and Pastor George Boldt.
/July 11 - Minnie Joecks (nee Busse) died, 67, born in Germany, came to the U.S. at age 7. Her brother Charles Busse is Village President of Sussex . Preceded in death by husband Herman.
/Sept, week of 5th - Cpl. James Boyle, Lannon, son of a Lannon WWI veteran, returned home on furlough. Fought in the 5 week battle of Brest in Europe. Unit went on to Aachen, Germany with the 2nd Division where he was wounded. He was in the first group to cross the Rhine River into Germany.
, week of 12th - lightning struck the Lannon Fire Co.'s siren. Glenwood Graulich is the principal at Lannon.
, week of 19th - Cpl. Keith Gissal on a week furlough from Scott Field, Illinois.
/Oct., week of 3rd - Richard Walsh of Lannon was ordained a priest and said his first Mass at St. James. Father Francis Finnegan was the Pastor.
- Matt Schneider was the Lannon Fire Chief.
/Nov, week of 14th - Mary Margaret Walsh of Lannon was discharged from the U.S. Army Nurse Corp. after 20 months service in the South Pacific.
/Nov., week of 21st - Cpl. Keith Gissal was in Le Havre, France.
- Leonard Joecks and Edwin Fischer left for South Dakota to go pheasant hunting and expected to get the limit every day spent there.
1946/Nov. - Anton Pinter of Lannon bought one of those new Kaiser cars.
/Dec. - Becker Electric had a grand opening in Lannon with the Rev. Francis Finnigan of St. James winning the raffle prize of a radio.
- Staff Sgt. John Butina of Lannon, killed in the later part of WWII, was returned for reburial at St. James cemetery.
- a large number of Lannon children were skiing on Tower Hill.
- the Lannon 500 Card Club held its' Christmas card party at the Louis Gissal home. 1st prize raffle went to Mrs. Glen Harmon.
/ Dec. 26 - Dennis Greengo born to Mr. & Mrs. William Greengo.
/Dec., week of 31st - Mr. & Mrs. John Walters of Lannon went to see their daughter, Jean, perform in Holy Angels Academy High School Christmas cantata.
- the Lannon Fire House on Main St. was decorated for Christmas, and the Advancement Association decorated the Village Tree at the site of the old school.
1947/Jan., week of 14th - Joan & Jean Walters attended the Wisconsin Catholic Action Convention in Milwaukee.
- Mrs. Steve Kindler returned home with her new infant daughter, Kathleen, born at St. Joseph's Hospital.
- Paul Zastrow was the local oil man in Lannon.
- Leo Monacelli was driving a new Pontiac.
- Miller's took the league in the Lisbon-Lannon Dartball League as it was 3 of 3. Walter's was 2nd after they beat Joecks' 3 for 3; and Schneider's took 3 for 3 from Duffy's.
- a 500 lb. safe was found intact in Lannon's Davis Quarry. It had been stolen from Reindeers Bros. in Elm Grove over New Year's Eve. The combination had been knocked off, but the safe was not opened. It contained $71 and some company papers.
/Jan., week of 21st - the Holy Name Men's Society of St. James held a men's smoker party using Willow Spring School Hall.
- August Joecks dies, age 78; born in Germany, came to Lannon in 1894; shortly after, he married Emma Falk.
/Feb., week of 4th - Keith Gissal and wife Joan were unexpected hosts of 20 "bobby soxers" as a howling blizzard bogged down a MFHS bus near their Lannon home. Blowing drifts blocked some roads for days.
- the Lannon Girl Scouts held a grease drive. (What was the Troop number?)
- the St. James' Holy Name Society sponsored a fund-raiser dance at the Nightingale Ball Room.
/Mar., week of 4th - a group of Lannon boys were taking accordion lessons at Duffy's Hall.
/Mar., week of 11th - Lannon girls who completed their "Tenderfoot" badge to become full-fledged Girls Scouts were: Patsy Mehler, Patsy Pinter, Shirley Miller, and Shirley Gruetzmacher. Their leader was Kathleen DeLany, assisted by Betty Walsh.
- seventy fathers and sons attended the St. James Holy Name Society Father and Son Banquet.
/Apr., week of 1st - Lannon Fire Dept called to put out fire at Eric Gruetzmacher's house.
- the west side Lannon Stone Co. dartball team finished 4th in the Milwaukee County Dartball Tournament.
- about 30 people participated in the Lannon muzzle loader shooting competition at its' rifle range.
/May, week of 6th - Bishop Frances Colton of Owensboro, Ky., confirmed 54 people at St. James (in Menomonee Falls?). The choir was under the direction of Mrs. Otto Schleisman. A dinner was served for the visiting clergy by Mrs. Lester Nettisheim and Mrs. Peter Nowakowski.
- the Lannon Advancement Association met at the residence of Nic Wildt.
- Cuno Quartaro was the owner of the new City (Cities?) Service garage on Main St.; used to be owned by Rudy Marks.
/May, week of 20th - eight children confirmed by Rev. George Boldt at St. John's.
- Lannon Fire Dept is planning a two-day picnic in August.
/May, week of 27th - the old Lannon Village Hall was purchased by Walter and Francis Becker to become an electrical appliance store.
/June, week of 10th - Joan Walters graduates from Holy Angels Academy in Milwaukee.
/June, week of 24th - Lannon Advancement Association offered free outdoor movies some evenings at Lannon Grade School. In case of rain on the scheduled night, they were shown at Duffy's Tavern Hall.
/July, week of 1st - Sydney Gissal went to a firemen's picnic at North Lake.
- A windstorm up-rooted many trees; Otto Wandsneider had a tree drop on his garage.
/July, week of 15th - the Lannon Advancement Association was improving the old school grounds with some playground equipment for the village children.
/July, week of 22nd - Lannon held an outdoor movie every Friday nite for the village children.
- The Marblestone Quarries, east of Lannon, were for sale, asking price $150,000. Covering 52 acres, the owner, E. Orlow wanted to retire.
/July, week of 29th - The Lannon Musket Rifle Club had a shoot in the Lannon gravel pit with large crowds attending the outing.
/Aug., week of 19th - the Sheriff and six deputies raided a Lannon soft drink parlor and arrested the proprietor for selling beer.
/Sept., week of 2nd - A.P. Walter was a major local real estate salesman living in Lannon. R.W. Doman was an auctioneer for the area.
- a new stone cross was erected on the St. James Steeple by Nic Wildt, Joe Ries, Emil Cirillo, Joe Sheiber, Tom Scheridan, and Ed Walsh. It was donated by Dominic Monacelli and Ole Swiggum. The old cross had been down for a number of years after a storm tore it off.
1947/Winter - Great snow storm of '47. Blowing winds created huge drifts shutting off town access for weeks.
1949/Nov., week of 2nd - Ervin Miller was president of Lannon Advancement Association.
1950: circa - Lannon VFW association buys an old Army barracks previously used in Milwaukee, and erects it on the site of the former two-story wood frame school house (present Village Hall).
1950/July, week of 25th - Lannon was able to host the LOL's All-Star game, due to the newly installed park lights. Bud DeLany and Earl "Weiner" Schultz were chosen to the All-Star team.
/Aug., week of 15th - Second prize in the Lannon parade-picnic was won by Mr. and Mrs. Eric Gruetzmacher for the Lannon Florist float.
- The cornerstone of the new St. John's Evangelical Church was laid. The first church being built in 1895.
/Sept - Lannon and Sussex tied for the Rivers championship after Sussex beat Lannon, 8-5.
/Oct. week of 3rd - Augie Schultz picked three bushels of peaches from his six-year-old peach tree in Lannon.
1951/Jan. week of 16th - Matt Schneider was elected chief at the annual Lannon Fire Department meeting. Louis Gissal was chosen as first assistant chief, and Harvey Rossman the second assistant chief.
/Jan. week of 23rd - Paul Gastrau, occupation stonecutter, died at age 44.
1952/Oct. week of 15th - Lester Schneider put 30 locally found fossils into his new Lannon home's fireplace.
1954 - Henry Walter, pioneer and owner of Lannon Meat Market, died at age 85.
Lannon – While plans for this year’s Lannon famous Indian Festival, “Beyond the Frontier”, are nearing completion, there is still time to enter floats and other parade attractions, according to the festival chairmen.
The parade is open to any civic, business, veteran and labor organizations. Prizes will be awarded. Those wishing to enter the parade competition are requested to contact Mr. Charles Waldo, Indian Festival Parade, at Lannon, up to Wednesday, June 15.
The festival will last three days, beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, June 17, and continuing through Sunday evening, June 19. The main parade will start at 12:30 p.m. Sunday. The Festival committee said that entrants to date assure more bands, more floats and more variety in the parade than in the past four years.
Feature theme of the festival will again be ceremonial and war dances performed at the Lannon ball park by members of the Consolidated Indian Tribes of Wisconsin. These colorful bits of Americana will be done by members of the Sioux, Oneida, Chippewa, Menominee, Stockbridge, Potowatomi and Winnebago tribes on all three days. The event will be open to the public at no charge.
Other events will include the crowing of a Festival Queen, and a “Little Injun Pet Parade” at 6 p.m. Saturday night. Any child with any kind of pet may enter and compete for the prizes.
The festival is one that helps Lannon promote the recreational facilities for the area’s youngsters.
Waukesha Daily Freeman, June 8, 1955
Annual Lannon Indian Festival Is Celebrated This Weekend
Plan 2 Parades; choose Queens
Lannon – With over 40,000 or more visitors expected over this coming weekend of June 17-19, this little village is ready with its biggest and best – Lannon Indian Festival – “Beyond the Frontier”. This will be the fifth of such annual and colorful spectacles put on by the Lannon Advancement Association with cooperation from the consolidated Indian Tribes of Wisconsin. Scores of Indians from seven tribes will perform ancient, traditional and highly colorful ceremonial dances at the Lannon ball park on Friday and Saturday evenings and on Sunday afternoon and evening. No admission will be charged.
Open to the public, too will be the two major parades. The first starting at 6 p.m. Saturday will be exclusively for children under 15 years, called the “Little Injun Pet Parade”, and it’s open to the youngsters with any kind of pet. Many prizes, topped by a bicycle, will be awarded.
At 12:30 p.m. Sunday, the mammoth parade will start. Scores of Indians in their brilliant regalia will be but one of the parade’s highlights.
There will be public participation and competition for prizes in the parade, too – among the various floats and ancient jalopies. Music will be provided by famous band like the 60 piece S. C. Johnson Wax co. band from Racine; the 35-piece Milwaukee Road Hiawatha band; the 85-piece South Milwaukee Municipal band, and the Walter Miller Post 5 Amvet Drum and Bugle corp. As an added treat, the 1953-4 national drill team from the VFW Gross_Yaksh post 6498 will perform in the Mammoth parade and at the park. As in the past a “Queen” will preside over both festival and parades. This year there will also be a Co-Queen to reign over the Indian ceremonies and dances. She will be an Indian girl selected by the Indians themselves.
Profit from the festival will again be used for the development of the Lannon Athletic field and for organized recreational facilities for the youngsters. Waukesha Daily Freeman, Wednesday, June 15, 1955, page 16
1956/Aug. - Cub Scout Pack 62 - was originally chartered by the Butina-Zimdar VFW Post 7989 circa August, 1956; the Pack (and probably the Troop) originally met every 4th Monday at 7:00 p.m. at the VFW Hall; later sponsored by Lannon Lions, meetings held at Lannon Elementary School.
1957/Apr. - Boy Scout Troop 62 - was originally chartered by the Butina-Zimdar VFW Post 7989 circa April, 1957. It was disbanded circa May, 1984. It was at this time that Webelos from Cub Scout Pack 62 who "bridged" over as Boy Scouts probably began joining Troop 175 sponsored by St. James Catholic Church or went on to a Sussex troop.
1958 - the old Town of Menomonee is carved up, with Lannon receiving about two square miles of additional territory.