Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Search this site and our local communities. Wisconsin History Search Only

You may now join, or renew your SLAHS membership using your PayPal account, credit, or debit card. Please use the following link to make a secure on-line payment.

Home
About Us
Search this site
Index
Local History
Genealogy
Pages from the Past
School History / Hamilton School District / Hamilton High School
Business History Index
Community Organizations
Museum
Depot History
Monetary Donations

Artifact Donations

Membership
Fundraiser Letter
Buy A Brick Donation
Lisbon Township Map - Interactive
Wisconsin History Search Only
Honor Roll

Books / Publications

Links
Local Area Historical Societies
Sussex Antique Power Association, Inc.
Wisconsin Brewery and Related

Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. Chronological History eBook

Tins, Bottles Pottery & More
Pauline Haass Public Library
WAUKESHA COUNTY, WISCONSIN
GENEALOGY PROJECT
Historical Marker Database - Wisconsin
Rootsweb Genealogy
Genealogy.com

Lannon, Village of

Waukesha County
State of Wisconsin Website
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Sussex Area Outreach Services
Spring Fest
Click to Go Home
Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Google Translate

   

 

Local History Index: Historic Places Index

Land Divisions Within Waukesha County

Not to Scale

Oconomowoc
T8N, R17E
Merton
T8N, R18E
Lisbon
T8N, R19E
Menomonee
T8N, R20E
Summit
T7N, R17E
Delafield
T7N, R18E
Pewaukee
T7N, R19E
Brookfield
T7N, R20E
Ottawa
T6N, R17E
Genesee
T6N, R18E
Waukesha
T6N, R19E
New Berlin
T6N, R20E
Eagle
T5N, R17E
Mukwonago
T5N, R18E
Vernon
T5N, R19E
Muskego
T5N, R20E

1901 Waukesha County map

 

Township Organization Chart

Township Name

Year
Formed

Parent Township

Brookfield

1839

Lisbon

Delafield (Nehmabin)

1843

Warren

Eagle

1841

Genesee

Genesee

1839

Mukwonago

Lisbon

1838

Milwaukee County Territory

Menomonee

1839

Lisbon

Merton (Warren)

1839

Summit

Mukwonago

1838

Milwaukee County Territory

Muskego

1838

Milwaukee County Territory

New Berlin (Mentor)

1839

Muskego

Oconomowoc

1844

Summit

Ottawa

1843

Genesee

Pewaukee

1840

Brookfield

Summit

1838

Milwaukee County Territory

Vernon

1839

Muskego

Waukesha

1839

Muskego

Source: The History of Waukesha County. "History of Towns", p. 729-94.
Published by Western Historical Association; Chicago, Illinois, 1880.

 

Place Names

Places historically associated with Waukesha County townships.

TOWNSHIP

PLACE NAMES

BROOKFIELD Brookfield, Brookfield Centre, Brookfield Junction, Elm Grove, Goerke's Corners, Marcy
DELAFIELD Chenequa, Delafield, Hartland, Nashotah, Pine Lake
EAGLE Eagle, Eagle Center, Eagleville
GENESEE Bethesda, Genesee, Genesee Depot, Jenkinsville, North Prairie, Saylesville, Wales
LISBON Lisbon, Sussex, Templeton
MENOMONEE Butler, Fussville, Lannon, Marcy, Menomonee Falls
MERTON Chenequa, Hartland, Merton, Monches, North Lake, O'Connellsville, Pine Lake, Stone Bank, Warren
MUKWONAGO Jericho, Mukwonago
MUSKEGO Denoon, Durham Hill, Guthrie, Muskego, Muskego Center, Muskego Mills,Tess Corners
NEW BERLIN Calhoun, Mentor, Muskego Mills, New Berlin, Prospect Hill
OCONOMOWOC Lac La Belle, Mapleton, Monterey, Oconomowoc, Okauchee
OTTAWA Dousman, Ottawa, Weiner
PEWAUKEE Duplainville, Pewaukee
SUMMIT Dousman, Gifford, Golden Lake, Oconomowoc Lake,  Summit Center, Summit Corners, Utica, Waterville
VERNON Big Bend, Dodge's Corners, Guthrie, Vernon, Vernon Center, Vernon Station
WAUKESHA Prairieville, Waukesha

 

Cities, Villages & Unincorporated Areas

Listed by Township. For purposes of general identification, section numbers are included after most listings. Please note that locations may not always encompass the entire section, but portions of that section.

Quick Jump to Townships: Brookfield, Delafield, Eagle, Genesee, Lisbon, Menomonee, Merton, Mukwonago, Muskego, New Berlin, Oconomowoc, Ottawa, Pewaukee, Summit, Vernon, Waukesha

Township Organization Chart - Table of townships; dates of organization and parent township or county.

Town of Brookfield ~

First settler, Robert Curan, arrived in 1836 (Section 25). First sawmill built, ca. 1838 (Section 15).

Brookfield, City of
Incorporated in 1954, the City of Brookfield now encompasses about ninety per cent of Brookfield. Major roads: IH 94, USH 18, STH 59, among many others.

Brookfield Junction (Section 16-17)
The first railroad depot was built here in 1853. By 1891, portions of this area were known as Brookfield Heights. Major Roads: Barker Road, Brookfield Road, Burleigh Road, North Avenue.

Elm Grove, Village of (Sections 23-26)
Settlement began in the late 1830's. The Sisters of Notre Dam established a convent and orphanage here (Section 24-25). The railroad depot was built in 1864. The Village of Elm Grove was incorporated in 1955. Major roads: STH 18 (W. Bluemound Road), CTH O (Moorland Road), Sunnyslope Road, Elm Grove Road.

Goerke's Corners (Sections 29-30)
This important crossroads was known early as Storyville, after Augustus Story who settled in the area in about 1837. Next known as Blodgett's Corners, probably for Chester Blodgett who arrived in 1843 (Section 20). Frank Goerke operated an inn at this locale in the 1870's. The Milwaukee-Watertown portion of Watertown Plank Road was built 1848-54. The Waukesha spur was built in 1850. In present times, this area is one of the county's busiest intersections. Major roads: IH 94, STH 18, CTH Y, Watertown Road.

Marcy (Section 4, Brookfield; Section 33, Menomonee)
Settlement began in the early 1840's. Centrally located on the border between Brookfield and Menomonee townships. Marcy Post Office: 1847-1903. Major road: CTH K (Lisbon Road).

Town of Delafield ~

The town's name was officially changed to Delafield in 1844. Known first as Nehmabin, the township was established in 1843. First settler, Albert Campbell, arrived in 1837. A sawmill was built on the Bark River (Section 19) in 1844 by Albert Alden. 

Chenequa, Village of (Delafield, Merton)
Due to a series of annexations, the Village of Chenequa now encompasses all of
Pine Lake. Incorporated in 1928, the Village of Chenequa now includes lands in the northern portions of Sections 4 and 5 in Delafield, and Sections 20, 21, 28, 29, 32, 33 in Merton. Major roads: CTH 16, STH 83, CTH C, CTH K.

Delafield, City of
First known as Hayopolis. Early settlement area may have been in portions of Sections 17-19 of the Town of Delafield. Incorporated in 1959, the City of Delafield now includes lands in Sections 3, 4-9, 16-21, 22, 27. Major Roads: IH 94, STH 16, STH 83, CTH C.

Hartland, Village of (Merton, Delafield)
First settler, Stephen Warren, arrived in 1838. Grist and sawmills were in operation in 1842. The first store began operating in 1844. Early settlement area may have been in portions of Section 3 in Delafield and portions of Section 35 in Merton. Incorporated in 1892, the Village of Hartland now includes a portion of Section 11 in Delafield and lands in Sections 2, 3, 10, 34, 35 in Merton. Major roads: STH 16, STH 83, CTH E, CTH JJ, CTH JK, CTH KC.

Nashotah, Village of
Nashotah Mission (Section 7) was founded in 1842. Early activity of the village, two miles northeast of the Mission (Section 6), centered upon the land of Francis Schraudenbach who built his Nashotah Inn at a junction of old Indian trails (later to become the Watertown Plank Road and present-day CTH C) that ran through his property. The coming of the railroad in 1854 further increased area activity. Incorporated in 1957, the Village of Nashotah now includes lands in Sections 5-8 in Delafield. Major roads: STH 16, CTH C.

Pine Lake (Merton, Delafield)
A small group of Swedish immigrants settled here in 1841, naming their community New Upsala. Among the first to arrive, Gustav Unonius, resided near the southeastern shore of Pine Lake (Section 4?, Delafield). See: Chenequa.

Town of Eagle ~

First settler, Ahira R. Hinkley, arrived in Eagle Prairie in 1836. Much early activity in the town took place in Eagleville.

Eagle, Village of (Sections 22-23)
An early name was Eagle Center, later shortened to Eagle. Village development dates from 1851-52 when railway and postal services were established. Incorporated in 1899, the Village of Eagle is just east of the Kettle Moraine State Forest (Southern Unit).

Eagleville (Sections 25 & 36)
Once the center of activity for the Town of Eagle. A sawmill was built here in about 1836. The first store began operation in 1844. Major roads: STH 99, CTH E.

Town of Genesee ~

First settler, Stillman Smith, arrived in 1837 (Section 32).

Bethesda (Sections 12-13)
Founded by Welsh immigrants. Major roads: CTH DE, CTH DT, CTH D.

Genesee (Section 27)
Known early as Jenkinsville, after B.A. Jenkins, who arrived here in 1837 and built the first hotel. The area was later known as North Genesee. Major roads: STH 59, STH 83, Old Village Road.

Genesee Depot (Section 21)
The first railroad depot was built here in about 1852. Major roads: STH 83, Depot Road.

North Prairie, Village of (Sections 31-33)
Early pioneers were Joseph Smart and Thomas Sugden (1836). Development of the community heightened with the expansion of the railway system in the early 1850's. The Village of North Prairie was incorporated in 1919. Major roads: STH 59, CTH E, CTH ZZ.

Saylesville (Section 25)
Known also as South Genesee. Alexander Rankin arrived here in 1837. Stephen Sayles and his four sons settled in the area in 1839. A flour mill,  built here in 1841, burned down in 1876 and was rebuilt. It still stands on Saylesville Mill Pond. A creamery, general store, cobbler's shop and blacksmith's shop operated in the area by the late 1840's. Major roads: CTH X (Saylesville Road), Woods Road.

Wales, Village of (Sections 3-5, 8-10, 17)
Founded by Welsh immigrants. Enos was an early name for the community, which may have first centered at the junction of present-day
STH 83 and USH 18 (Sections 4 & 5). The railroad depot, Wales Station, was built in 1882. The Village of Wales was incorporated in 1922. Major Roads: USH 18, STH 83, CTH E, CTH G and Morris Road.

Town of Lisbon ~

First settler, Thomas S. Redford, arrived in 1836 (Section 25). English-born John Weaver, also arrived in 1836 (Section 35). His brothers, James and William Weaver, were among the founders of St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Sussex. James donated an acre of land (Section 23) upon which a small church was built in 1844.

Lisbon (Sections 35-36)
The area around CTH K and STH 164 in Section 35 was sometimes referred to as "Weavertown". Mrs. John (Melinda) Weaver was the first schoolteacher in the town, holding classes in her log home in 1838. James Weaver, who arrived in 1837, was the first postmaster and used his home as the office. Major roads: STH 164, CTH K, CTH V.

Sussex, Village of (Sections 13-14, 21-26)
The first settler in the area was George Elliot (1837). First villager, Richard Cooling, settled here in 1843. He became the postmaster in 1861. (Old Sussex of West Sussex was located about one mile west of East Sussex or Templeton, below.) The Village of Sussex was incorporated in 1924. Major roads: STH 74, STH 164, CTH J, CTH VV.

Templeton (Section 26)
Named for James Templeton (son-in-law of Richard Cooling), a local businessman and politician. Templeton was annexed into the Village of Sussex by the 1930's. Major roads: STH 74, STH 164, CTH W.

Town of Menomonee ~

First settler, Irish-born Patrick Rafferty, arrived in about 1836-37. Early population was mostly of Irish descent, later German. "Wild Marsh" was the site of an Indian encampment, containing about 500 acres in parts of Sections 21-22, 27-28; and included a cranberry bog.

Butler, Village of (Section 36)
Located in Milwaukee County prior to 1913. Originally known as New Butler, later shortened to Butler. Incorporated in 1931, the Village of Butler now includes land in Section 1 (Brookfield) and Section 36 (Menomonee).

Fussville (Section 13)
Settlement began in late 1837, first by Yankees and Irish, later by Germans in about 1844. Fussville was annexed by the Village of Menomonee Falls, 1950-1960. Major roads: STH 174, Lily Road.

Lannon, Village of (Sections 8, 17-20)
Known early as Lannon Springs. The majority of first settlers were Irish. The first school was taught in 1843; the first store began operating, also in 1843. The Village of Lannon was incorporated in 1930. Major roads: STH 74, CTH W, CTH Y.

You can see below that each Section 17,18,19, and 20 are divided up into 640 acre parcels, then further subdivided into 160 and 80 acre sections, then being further subdivided into 40's or being platted into lots of various sizes.

Lannon after 1890's.

       ^Whiskey Corners     ^ Mill Road to the south

Marcy (Section 4, Brookfield; Section 33, Menomonee)
Centrally located on the border between Brookfield and Menomonee townships. Settlement began ca. early 1840's. Major road: CTH K (Lisbon Road).

Menomonee Falls, Village of
The southern half of Section 3, with its falls and mills, may have been an early settlement site. Incorporated in 1892, the Village of Menomonee Falls now includes most of Menomonee except for the Villages of Butler and Lannon and a small piece of Section 25 (City of Milwaukee).

Town of Merton ~

Separated from the town of Delafield in 1843 and known as the Town of Warren until 1849. First settler, Ralph B. Allen, arrived in 1837.

Chenequa, Village of (Merton, Delafield)
Due to a series of annexations (ca. 1928-1990's), the Village of Chenequa now encompasses all of Pine Lake (except for a small portion of its southernmost shoreline in Delafield), with lands in: Sections 4 & 5, Delafield; Sections 16, 20-21, 28-29, 32, 33, Merton. The Village of Chenequa was incorporated in 1928. See: Pine Lake.

Hartland, Village of (Merton, Delafield)
First settlers arrived in 1838. Grist and sawmills were in operation in 1842. The first store began operating in 1844. Early settlement area may have been in portions of Section 3 in Town of Delafield and portions of Section 35 in Town of Merton. Incorporated in 1892, the Village of Hartland now includes a portion of Section 11 in Delafield and lands in Sections 2, 3, 10, 34, 35 in Merton.

Merton, Village of (Sections 13-14, 23-26)
Known as Warren prior to 1847. Moreton is said to have been the original form of the present name. First settler, William O'dell, arrived in the village in 1840. Early settlement area may have been in portions of Sections 13 and 14 along the Bark River and milling area. The Village of Merton was incorporated in 1922.

Monches (Sections 2 & 3, Merton; Sections 34 & 35, Erin - Washington Co.)
First settlers arrived 1841-42. Known early as O'Connellsville, later as Kunz's (Kuntz's) Mill, Monches' Mill, and then Monches. Major roads: CTH E, CTH Q, Hickory Road, Hartley Road.

North Lake (Section 16)
Ralph B. Allan staked a claim here in 1837. George Bergwall settled one mile south of North Lake in 1842. Henry Shears purchased the site of North Lake in 1850 and built a sawmill (ca. 1850-51) and later a gristmill in the area. The North Lake Brewery began in 1867. Major roads: STH 83, CTH W.

Pine Lake (Sections 4 & 5 Delafield; Sections 20, 21, 28, 29, 32, 33 Merton)
The Village of Chenequa encompasses all of Pine Lake
(except for a small portion of its southernmost shoreline in Sections 4 & 5, Delafield). A small group of Swedish immigrants arrived here in 1841, naming their community New Upsala. Among the first to arrive is said to have been Knut Bengt. Peterson who built a log cabin on the east side of Pine Lake. Other early settlers were Pallycarpus Von Schneideau and Gustaf Unonius, also arriving in 1841 and residing near the southeastern shore of Pine Lake.

Stone Bank (Section 19)
First settlers arrived in about 1841. The first house and sawmill were built in 1842. The first store was built in 1845. Major roads: CTH C, CTH K.

Town of Mukwonago ~

First settler, Charles N. Cox, arrived in the Spring of 1836 and claimed land in Section 19. In the summer of that year, Sewall Anderson also settled in the town and soon became a prominent merchant and community leader.

Jericho (Section 19)
The Charles Cox family arrived here in 1836 and lived on their claim in a covered wagon. Mr. Cox died in 1838 and was buried at Jericho Cemetery. Major roads: CTH NN, CTH E.

Mukwonago, Village of (Sections 22-27, 35-36)
First settlers arrived in 1836. Sewall Anderson's store began operating in 1837; the first hotel was built in 1837. An early settlement area may have been in the south half of Section 9, near the Mukwonago River and Phantom Lakes area. The Village of Mukwonago was incorporated in 1905. Major roads: IH 43, STH 83, STH 99, CTH ES.

Town of Muskego ~

First settler, Luther Parker, arrived in 1836.

Denoon (Sections 31 & 32)
Post office operated: 1851, moved to Racine County in 1853. Re-established in Waukesha County, 1892 and discontinued in 1903. Major roads: CTH Y, Denoon Road.

Durham (Section 25)
Durham Hill Post Office operated from 1863-83. Durham Post Office, 1883-1903. Major roads: USH 45, STH 36, CTH OO.

Guthrie (Section 6, Muskego; Section 1, Vernon)
Settlement was begun by Scottish immigrants, arriving here in the early 1840's. Major roads: I43, CTH ES, CTH U (Guthrie Road), Crowbar Road.

Muskego, City of
First settler, Luther Parker, arrived in 1836, staking a claim in Section 9 (later, Muskego Center). Muskego derives its name from the
Potawatomi "Mus-kee-Guac" meaning sunfish, once found in abundance in local lakes. The Town of Muskego was incorporated as the City of Muskego in 1964. Major roads: CTH L (formerly STH 24), CTH Y, Pioneer Road.

Muskego Mills (Sections 4 & 5, Muskego; Section 32, New Berlin)
Hugh Wedge built a dam in this area in 1836 and began milling operations shortly thereafter. Hence the name Wedge's Mill, as Muskego Mills was later known. Major roads: IH 43, CTH Y.

Tess Corners (Section 2)
Situated at the crossroads of old Indian trails between Big and Little Muskego lakes. First settlers arrived 1836, the majority of whom were German. Named for Jacob Tess, an early settler. Major roads: CTH L, Tess Corners Drive, Durham Road.

Town of New Berlin ~

Originally part of the Town of Muskego. The town was known as Mentor in 1839, then named The Town of New Berlin in 1840. First settler, Sidney Evans, arrived in 1836.

Calhoun (Sections 3 & 4)
Calhoun Post Office: 1882-1918. Major roads: Calhoun Road, W. Lincoln Avenue, STH 59 (Greenfield Avenue).

New Berlin, City of
The City of New Berlin was incorporated 1959. The current city limits include all of the lands in the Town of New Berlin. Major roads: IH 43, STH 59, CTH Y, CTH D, CTH ES, CTH I, CTH O, CTH L (formerly STH 24).

Prospect Hill (Sections 29 & 32)
First settler, John H. White, arrived here in 1836. Reverend R. Cheney arrived in 1839 and started the Freewill Baptist Church in 1840. Major roads: CTH ES, CTH Y.

Town of Oconomowoc ~

Prior to 1844, the town was attached to Summit. Among the first to settle in the area were: Andrew Baxter (March, 1837) a

Lac La Belle, Village of
Located along the northwest shore of Lac La Belle and a short distance north and west of the City of Oconomowoc. Once the site of many summer homes and mansions. The Village of Lac La Belle was incorporated in 1931. Major thoroughfares: Pennsylvania Street, Saeger Avenue, Lac La Belle Drive, Lang Road.

Oconomowoc, City of
First settlers arrived in 1837. The Village of Oconomowoc was incorporated in 1865, later incorporated as the City of Oconomowoc, 1875. Major roads: STH 16, STH 67, CTH BB, CTH Z.

Okauchee (Section 35? & 36)
A milling area originally named for its mills and/or families owning mills. Orson Reed built a sawmill here in 1839-40. Other early names include Okauchee Mills, McCormack's Mills and Hurd's Mills. Located along Okauchee Lake's western shoreline. Major roads: STH 16, CTH P, CTH R, CTH K, Breezy Point Road, Lake Drive.

Mapleton (Sections 2 & 11)
Known early as Gassmann's Mill. First settlers arrived in 1843-44. The first schoolhouse was built in 1849. Major roads: CTH CW, CTH P.

Monterey (Sections 8 & 9)
First settlers arrived in 1844. Major Roads: STH 67, CTH CW.

Town of Ottawa ~

First settler, Talbot C. Dousman, arrived in the area (Section 2?) in 1836. The first sawmill, called Buttermilk Mill, was built in 1845-46 and powered by nearby springs. Ottawa remains largely rural and is located near the northern end of the Kettle Moraine State Forest (Southern Unit). Major roads: CTH C, CTH D, STH 67. See also: Dousman.

Dousman, Village of (Ottawa, Summit)
Named for early area settler, Talbot C. Dousman. Since the completion of the railway through the area in the early 1880's, a familiar name for Dousman has been "Bullfrog Station". The Village of Dousman was incorporated in 1917. Dousman now includes lands in: Sections 2 and 3, Town of Ottawa; Sections 3 and 34, Town of Summit. Major roads: USH 18, STH 67, CTH Z.

Weiner (Section 17)
The majority of first settlers were of German descent. The Link brothers built a cabin here in about 1842. The Nicholas Weiner family arrived in 1843 and bided for a time with the Links. Henry Weiner (son of Nicholas) built a general store and saloon in the area in 1868. A cheese factory, wagon shop, blacksmith shop, an inn and an ice house also operated in the area at one time. The first church in Ottawa, St. Bruno's Catholic Church, got its start in a log building in Weiner. St. Bruno's later relocated to Dousman. Major roads: CTH Z, CTH D, School Section Road.

Town of Pewaukee ~

First settler, Elon Fuller, arrived in 1835. Early area development may have been in Section 9, near dam and first mill site.

Duplainville (Section 13)
"Village of the Plains". Major roads: STH 164, Duplainville Road, Green Road.

Pewaukee, Village of
First settlers arrived in 1837. The Village of Pewaukee was incorporated in 1876. Located along the eastern end of Pewaukee Lake. Major roads: STH 16, STH 190, CTH G, CTH M, CTH T, CTH KF, CTH JJ.

Town of Summit ~

Known in early times as Summit Prairie, Summitville and Summerville. Among the first to settle in the area were: Andrew Baxter (March, 1837) a

Dousman, Village of (Summit, Ottawa)
Named for early area settler, Talbot C. Dousman. Since the completion of the railway through the area in the early 1880's, a familiar name for Dousman has been "Bullfrog Station". The Village of Dousman was incorporated in 1917. Dousman now includes lands in: Sections 2 and 3, Town of Ottawa; Sections 3 and 34, Town of Summit. Major roads: USH 18, STH 67, CTH Z. See also: Town of Ottawa.

Gifford (Sections 2 & 3)
Named for Colonel George Gifford who operated a popular resort in the area. Major roads: STH 16, Gifford Road. See also: Village of Oconomowoc Lake.

Golden Lake (Section 31)
Known as Gold Lake, later Golden Lake. Early commerce included brewing and cheese making. Now a small community of homes and cottages along the shoreline of Golden Lake, Highway 18 and CTH BB.

Oconomowoc Lake, Village of
Encompasses the shoreline of Oconomowoc Lake and its surrounds, including lands in: Sections 1-3, 11-12, Town of Summit; Section 35-36, Town of Oconomowoc. During the 1890's, many lavish estates and summer homes were built along the shores of Oconomowoc Lake. Gifford, a former postal stop and popular resort area, was eventually absorbed into this community. The Village was incorporated in 1959. Major roads: STH 16, CTH P, Pabst Road. For information about (former) estates, see: Village of Oconomowoc Lake Home Page.

Summit Center (Sections 21 & 22)
First settlers arrived in 1837. An early post office was named Belleterre. This crossroad settlement and that of Summit Corners (below) were centers of commerce for the towns of Summit and Oconomowoc until the area was hit by a devastating tornado in 1850. Major roads: CTH DR, Dousman Road.

Summit Corners (Sections 10 & 15)
First settlers arrived in 1837. First store began operations in 1839. First blacksmith shop began operating in 1843. Major roads: STH 67, CTH B.

Utica (Section 33)
Surveyed in 1837. Major roads: USH 18, Utica Road.

Waterville (Section 36)
First settlers were mostly Yankees, arriving here in the mid-1830's and later selling their holdings to another group of settlers, many of whom were of Welsh descent. Early commerce dates from 1843. Major roads: USH 18, CTH P (Sawyer Road).

Town of Vernon ~

First settlers, natives of Vermont and arriving here in November of 1836 were: Orien B. Haseltine, Curtis W. Haseltine, Prucius Putnam and John Dodge.

Big Bend, Village of
Amos and Aaron Putnam built a sawmill here in 1841. The Village of Big Bend was incorporated in 1928. Major roads: STH 164, CTH L (formerly STH 24).

Dodge's Corners (Section 27)
John Dodge built a cabin here in 1836. Major roads: CTH L, Maple Avenue, Center Drive.

Guthrie (Section 1, Vernon; Section 6, Muskego)
Settlement was begun by Scottish immigrants, arriving here in the early 1840's. Major roads: I43, CTH ES, CTH U (Guthrie Road), Crowbar Road.

Vernon (Section 9)
First settlers arrived in 1836. Vernon's early name was Vernon Center, commonly referred to as "The Burg". Major roads: CTH ES, Hi Lo Drive, Center Road.

Vernon Station (Section 5)
Settlement most likely increased in 1886 when the railway station was built. Early Post Offices: Savannah, later Benson. Major roads: Benson Avenue, CTH XX.

Town of Waukesha ~

Isaac Smart is said to have been the first person to settle outside the Village of Waukesha, arriving in the area in 1835.

Waukesha, City of
First settler, Morris D. Cutler, arrived here in 1834. First incorporated as Village of Prairieville, 1846, then Village of Waukesha, 1852; finally City of Waukesha, 1896. Major roads: IH 94, USH 18, STH 16, STH 59, STH 164, among many others. Waukesha now includes lands in: Sections 1-6, 8-17, 22, Town of Waukesha; Sections 20-21, 25, 28-30, 32-36, Town of Pewaukee; Sections 30-31, Town of Brookfield. Waukesha is the county seat of Waukesha County.

 

 

Home / About Us  / Index / Membership / Search this site

Copyright Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc., , 2002 - 2014, Except as noted: All documents placed on the SLAHS.org website remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, these documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. They may be used by non-commercial entities, when written permission is obtained from the contributor, so long as all notices and submitter information are included. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit. Any other use, including copying files to other sites, requires permission from the contributors PRIOR to uploading to the other sites. The submitter has given permission to the SLAHS.org website to store the file(s) for free access. Such permission may be revoked upon written notice to the SLAHS.org website webmaster. Website's design, hosting, and maintenance are donated by Website Editor & Webmaster: Michael R. Reilly (Mike)