The Community of Duplainville
Compiled and Edited by Michael R. Reilly
Last Revised 03/03/2005
Note: Duplainville is part of the Town of Pewaukee to the south but is an integral part of the Sussex-Lisbon area history and influence. (Note: see Duplainville home page on the internet) Pewaukee Area Historical Society Web Site
Duplainville, Wisconsin, an unincorporated community within the Township of Pewaukee, is located about 15 miles west of Milwaukee at Milepost 102.2 on the CP main or Milepost 102.6 on the WC. It is between Waukesha and Sussex, Wisconsin. People arrived in the Duplainville area in 1848 attended Mass in Brookfield (There seems to have been a parish in Brookfield - St. Dominic -1842-1845, but there is no actual record prior to 1858. ). In 1855 they built a meeting house (church) in Duplainville where people attended Mass
In about 1855, the Milwaukee Road built its track west from Brookfield Junction toward Portage and Minneapolis for a faster route than what had been over the Prairie du Chien Line to the Mississippi river or the Northern Lines thru North Milwaukee, Rugby Jct, Hartford, Horicon and Beaver Dam. In 1885-86, the Wisconsin Central Railroad built south from Rugby Jct to Chicago. Hence their tracks crossed in Duplainville. You could travel on spur lines to Templeton, Colgate, Menomonee Falls, Sussex and Waukesha by changing trains at Brookfield Junction.
A tower was erected in the northwest quadrant of the diamond in 1890. William Alvord was the chief operator for many years. He lived a short distance from the crossing. With heavy winter snow, additional help was hired to keep the tracks and switches clear. Although there were signals and gates at the Duplainville Road highway crossing, there were numerous accidents and some lives were lost. The tower burned down on January 1, 1929. A new brick building was then built. It was finally torn down in 1987 after a much needed connection track to the old Soo was built and CTC was installed. The diamond was then controlled from Milwaukee. During 1962, the Wisconsin Central, DSS&A and Soo Line combined to what is now known as the Soo Line. After the SOO Line purchased the Milwaukee Road in 1985, the Old SOO ( former Wisconsin Central ) crossed the New SOO (former Milwaukee Rd. ) at Duplainville. The tower at Duplainville was closed in 1991 and razed the same year.
Note - all dates listed below are from The Waukesha Freeman newspaper published then.
April 4, 1878 - Our lively, talkative Charlie Newbecker, the
blacksmith and Postmaster, is crowed with business. page 2. (Editor's note:
Charlie Newbecker, who recently moved into town (Waukesha) from Duplainville and
began a blacksmith business. May 14, 1885)
U.S. CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
Duplainville has St. Peter & Paul cemetery. The Waukesha History Museum research room has a typewritten record of Saint Peter and Paul's Cemetery Burials to 1940, compiled from tomb stones, that was made by Mrs. E. Tallmadge. In 1859, Fr. Weiss of Fussville (Menomonee Falls) built a log cabin church in Duplainville as a mission of St. Anthony. From 1870 to 1879, Ss. Peter & Paul was serviced by Capuchin Fathers who came out on the train from Milwaukee. The present old church was built in 1876. In 1969 Fr. Robert Huettl was appointed full time pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul, and it became a parish in its own right. On 09-19-70 a facility was built on the corner of Duplainville Road and Green Road (Recently sold to Trinity Academy).
company was founded in Duplainville in 1971 by Harry V. Quadracci, and
incorporated on July 13, 1971. The company
launched operations from a 20,000-square-foot abandoned
warehouse, with a Baker Perkins "America IV" press and a borrowed
In 1973 they
In 1973 theyfound their first division, Duplainville Transport (now part of Quad/Transportation Services).