Brewery, Saloon and Tavern History
Compiled and Edited by Michael R. Reilly
Last Revised 01/27/2015
Editor: April 1, 1837 David Bonham is advertising in a Milwaukee newspaper that his Public House (tavern) was open at "Head of Fox River" [later Town of Lisbon]. The Head of the Fox River encompassed an area on the eastern edge of the Lisbon township and that which was Willow Springs, later Lannon, then Village of Menomonee Falls.
The subscriber would inform the travelling public that he has opened a house of entertainment on range 19 town 8 section 36 the north-west quarter. It is on the Oconomowoc trail, at the head of Fox River, on the direct route to the Upper Rapids on the Rock River, where he will be happy to accommodate those may be disposed to give him a call.
April 4, 1837
Source: Milwaukee Advertiser, Milwaukee Advertiser, April 15, 1837
"Oconomeewoc Village" instead of "Public House" heading in the May 13, 1837 edition.
The Jolly Bar - Source: Recollections from the Past: Sussex, Wisconsin, Presented by Farmers & Merchants Bank, August 4, 1972
1920 Census taken by Geo Wileden is separated into two
enumeration districts 173 sections 1 - 18 and 174 sections 19 - 36.