by Fred H. Keller
Genealogy: Military: Index
The Civil War: Lisbon Township - Regimental Service Accounts
The Wisconsin regimental histories listed below are for those men from Sussex/Lisbon who fought in them. Also be aware that many Wisconsin volunteers and draftees may have been in other state (not Wisconsin) regiments to begin with or assigned to other regiments due to later reorganization during the war.
The Volunteers and Draftees of Lisbon Township - The Wisconsin Regiments that men from Sussex/Lisbon fought in are listed along with biographical information for some of the individual soldiers (click on soldier's name hyperlink). Note: Some of the men listed below have not been identified as being from the Sussex/Lisbon area, and there are others not yet identified as being a member of a particular regiment and company. Also be aware that many Wisconsin volunteers and draftees may have been in other state regiments to begin with or assigned to other regiments due to later reorganization during the war.
Throughout the War, death from disease, often took a greater toll in the Wisconsin Regiments than did death caused by wounds received in battle. Many soldier died of an unspecified disease.
Wisconsin 5th Regiment Volunteer Infantry
This regiment was organized at Camp Randall, Madison and was mustered into the United States service on July 13, 1861. It left the state on July 26th for Washington.
The command advanced opposite the enemy's fortifications, on the Warwick River near Lee's Mills, which was the center of the enemy's line of works. An attack was made on a strong fort of the rebels on the 16th, in which the regiment took no part, but afterwards took a position in the rear of a battery which had been posted opposite the fort. On the 24th, Private Charles L. Fourt, of Company K, was wounded while on picket. On the 30th, Commissary Sergeant Burton Millard was mortally wounded and died that same day.
On May 3rd, the rebels evacuated their works around Yorktown and retreated towards Williamsburg. With the rest of the Army, the regiment marched in pursuit of the enemy. The roads were almost impassable, from the swampy character of the ground. At night, they bivouacked near Whittaker's plantation, three miles from Williamsburg. At 8 AM the next day, General Hooker commenced the Battle of Williamsburg, on the left. At 10 AM, the brigade was sent to the right to make an attack on the enemy's left. With the regiment in the advance, the brigade reached Queen's Creek and found an earthwork on the opposite side. The regiment was ordered to cross and occupy the work, which was done. A second earthwork about 800 yards from the first was also found to be abandoned. These works proved to be within range of three similar works, which were filled with the enemy's infantry and sharpshooters. The Confederates opened a galling fire on the skirmishers thrown out by Colonel Cobb, which consisted of Companies A, E, and G, under the command of Captain Bugh. Pursuant to orders, Colonel Cobb advanced four hundred yards from the main line and sent forward Companies D and K as support for his skirmish line, under Lieutenant Colonel Emery. A Federal battery took position near some farm buildings and opened on the Confederate works. Colonel Cobb, with the rest of the regiment, acted as support. They were covered by a slight elevation and his men lied down to avoid the enemy's shots. At about 4:30 PM, the enemy opened fire on his skirmish line and soon advanced, the skirmishers slowly retiring. The battery immediately limbered up and passed to the rear. The skirmishers checked the cavalry advance and Colonel Cobb formed a line of battle with his five companies and opened fire on the advancing infantry. Colonel Cobb received orders of "fall back fighting," so he gradually withdrew from the shelter of the buildings and became fully exposed to the enemy's fire. The skirmishers rejoined the regiment and they fell back slowly and deliberately, fighting all the while, with as much coolness as if on ordinary duty. Having joined the main line of the brigade, General Hancock gave the order to fire and charge, which was followed by such a volley and rush that the enemy were checked and fled from the field in the wildest confusion, leaving one of their battle flags. For the coolness and bravery displayed, Colonel Cobb and the regiment were complimented by their superior officers. On the 7th, General McClellan addressed the regiment as follows:
"My lads, I have come to thank you for the bravery and discipline which you displayed the other day. On that day, you won laurels of which you may be proud - not only you, but the army, the State and the country to which you belong. Though you we won the day, and 'Williamsburg' shall be inscribed upon your banner. I cannot thank you too much, and I am sure the reputation your gallantry has already achieved, will always be maintained."
Captain Bugh, of Company G, was dangerously wounded in the thigh, and lay on the field till the enemy was driven back. His wound disabled him from further military service. The rebel force engaged was Ewell's crack brigade, of which the 5th North Carolina Volunteer Infantry was nearly annihilated.
The rebels evacuated Williamsburg on the night of May 5th. General Smith's division marched to Cumberland Landing on the 9th, and was assigned to General Franklin's VI Corps. They then marched to the Chickahominy and encamped on May 24th, near Gaines' Mill. Here the regiment was engaged in building roads, bridges, etc. until the end of June. On the 26th, Porter was driven back by the enemy. The next evening, the pickets of the 5th Wisconsin were driven in. Hancock's brigade held a strong position, very annoying to the enemy. This was an attempt to drive him from it. The brigade soon formed a line of battle, just below the crest of a hill, on which they lay down. When the enemy appeared on the hill, they poured in a staggering fire at the same time that the artillery opened. the fight lasted about an hour, when the rebels were routed. This is known as the Battle of Golden's Farm. Here Captain William Evans, of Company K, was mortally wounded.
The next day, McClellan began his famous "change of base," in which General Smith's division formed the rear guard of the grand army. They came under fire at Savage Station and the regiment, with Hancock's Brigade, was among the last to cross the White Oak Swamp bridge, where five of Company F were taken prisoner. The brigade was also under fire at the battle of Malvern Hill, but suffered no loss. They then went into camp near Harrison's Landing, where they remained until the final evacuation of the Peninsula on August 16th. The regiment arrived at Alexandria on the 29th, and the Corps marched toward Manassas, but did not reach General Pope in time to afford any assistance. They then returned to Alexandria, where they remained until September 6th. Major Larrabee resigned on July 25th, and Captain Behrens was appointed Major.
In the movement to check the progress of General Lee in Maryland, the regiment was in the reserve when Slocum's division drove the enemy from Crampton's Gap on the 14th. They were present at the Battle of Antietam, Franklin's Corps reinforcing Generals Hooker and Sumner. General Smith's Division being in support of artillery, the regiment lay on the ground nearly all day, under the terrible fire of the enemy, with little loss. Colonel Cobb was in command of the brigade. After a fruitless attempt to intercept Stewart's cavalry on his celebrated raid around McClellan's army, they rejoined the army at Falmouth. The participated in the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 12-15, 1862, though not much exposed. Here Corporal H. Pigg, of Company B, and Corporals Amos W. Miller and John Duncam, of Company H were wounded. Private William Lyon, of Company D, was killed. The regiment went into winter quarters at White Oak Church, near Belle Plain. Colonel Cobb being elected to Congress, resigned his position and Lieutenant Colonel Thomas S. Allen of the 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry was appointed Colonel of the 5th Wisconsin. On the death of Lieutenant Colonel Emery in October, Captain Theodore B. Catlin, of Company D, was appointed Lieutenant Colonel. Major Behrens resigned on December 26th, and Captain H. M. Wheeler was appointed Major. Colonel Allen reported for duty on January 26, 1863.
The "Light Division" was organized from the VI Corps in February by General Pratt. The regiment was included in this division, which was intended to march and be ready to undertake reconnaissance's and movements which required great activity, unencumbered by the usual impediments. This "Light Division" remained in camp at Belle Plain until April 28th, when it moved to the Rappahannock River, crossed on pontoons, and took position before the enemy below Fredericksburg. On May 2nd, First Lieutenant John McMurtry, of Company H, was mortally wounded by rebel sharpshooters, while skirmishing. Moving up to the city, the VI Corps took position in front of the enemy's fortifications on the heights.
On May 3rd, the Light Division was ordered to storm the enemy's position on Marye's Heights, where General Burnside lost 5,000 men in a similar attempt in December. That attempt gave the place the name of "the Slaughter Pen." The Light Division, commanded by Colonel Burnham, of the 6th Maine Volunteer Infantry, moved to obey orders. The right wing of the 5th Wisconsin, Companies A, B, F, H, and I were to lead the storming party under Colonel Allen. The 6th Maine Volunteer Infantry and the 31st New York Volunteer Infantry were placed in the rear of the right wing of the 5th Wisconsin and the left wing of the 5th Wisconsin was placed in the rear of the 31st New York. The plan of the charge and arrangement of the troops was made by Colonel Allen. The enemy's works consisted of a battery in front on the heights above, with a battery on the left and two other batteries on the right, which could pour a terrible cross fire into the attacking force. In front of the right wing was a gentle slope, on ascending which, the force became fully exposed to the fire of the enemy. At about 450 yards in front of their starting point was a stone wall or fence forming one side of a cross road, behind which the enemy had placed a regiment or two of sharpshooters. Beyond the wall, the hill rose very steep, on top of which was the battery and rifle-pits which the Light Division was ordered to take. Two regiments were to advance up a road to the right, in order to draw the fire of the enemy while the charge was being made.
Forming in line, as arranged, the right wing of the regiment lay for three hours, protected by the slope of the ground, before orders were received to charge. The men were rather serious, for they felt it to be an almost hopeless task, where so many had failed before. Colonel Allen, to change the current of feeling, addressed his men, saying, "Boys! You see those heights? You have to take them! You think you cannot do it, but you can! You will do it! When the order 'Forward" is given, you will start at the double quick - you will not fire a gun - you will not stop until you are ordered to halt! You will never get that order!" At last came the command "Forward," and every man advanced with undaunted bravery up that sheltering slope and into the deadly fire which met them about 100 yards from the stone wall or fence. Then it came with terrible fury and effect from musketry behind the wall and rifle-pits above, in front, from the batteries on all the crests of the hills, and from the rifles in houses and rifle-pits on the right flank. Shot, shell and canister tore through the ranks of the gallant storming party, but without stopping to return a shot, the band of heroes rushed on. They surmounted the stone wall, where they bayoneted some of the foe and scattered the others like chaff. They clambered up the steep pitch and into the enemy's works at the top. They were soon in possession of the famous Washington Artillery of New Orleans, whose commander surrendered his sword to Colonel Allen, while complimenting him for his daring and the bravery of his men. The column which was to charge the batteries on the right failed to reach them and the Light Division proceeded to secure them. They captured nine cannons, several hundred prisoners and many small arms. The battery on the left was taken by a Vermont brigade.
Without rest, refreshments, or going back to care for the killed and wounded, the Light Division was ordered to march with the VI Corps at once to Chancellorsville. During the evening, the enemy retook possession of the Heights so dearly won, and followed up the VI Corps which, at Salem Church, had Lee's army in their front and Jackson and Longstreet on their flank and rear. The enemy's fire slackened against Hooker, during the 3rd and 4th, his attention being devoted to Sedgwick's VI Corps, who were fighting three times their number. No relief came, and nothing was left but to cross the river. In order to do this, the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and the 61st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Allen, moved to the right and went to the assistance of Brooks' and Howe's divisions, who were fighting to open a way to Banks' Ford. They succeeded, the regiment losing several men in a few minutes. Arriving at the Ford, the regiment was detailed as a rear guard and the VI Corps crossed in safety on the 5th. The Light Division returned to their old camp and was soon after broken up, the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and the 6th Maine Volunteer Infantry being assigned to the Third Brigade under Brigadier General David A. Russell, of the First Division, VI Army Corps.
It having been ascertained that General Lee was moving towards Pennsylvania, the VI Corps was again put in motion, and marched rapidly through Virginia, reaching Gettysburg on July 2nd, having marched all the previous night. Here they were placed as a reserve in the rear of the left of General Meade's line of battle, where they remained without becoming actually engaged, although exposed to the artillery fire on the 3rd. The regiment sustained not loss. The corps went in pursuit of the enemy and skirmished with his rear guard, but he escaped. The regiment proceeded with the army to Warrenton.
A few days later the regiment was ordered to New York City to aid the United States Provost Marshal in executing the draft. They were quartered at Governor's Island and performed duty in the city for four days. They were then stationed in detached companies at Albany and other places up the river. On October 17th, the regiment was reunited at Governor's Island. They left New York and arrived at Fairfax Station on the 20th, where they rejoined their brigade.
On November 7th, they took a prominent part in the charge on the enemy's works at Rappahannock Station. When General Lee returned from the pursuit of Meade in October, he left a strong outpost at Rappahannock Station and Kelly's Ford. On the morning of the 7th, the VI Corps marched to Rappahannock Station, and one examination of the enemy's works, General Russell remarked that he "had two regiments in his brigade that could take those works!" He received permission to make the attempt. At once ordering up the 5th Wisconsin and the 6th Maine, he deployed the whole of the latter regiment as skirmishers at short intervals and ordered the 5th Wisconsin to support the line closely and take the works in front. They advanced at the double quick, with orders to rely entirely on the bayonet until the works were reached. With a yell they rushed forward over smooth rolling ground and then across a low flat in front of the works, covered with stumps and crossed by deep ravines and ditches filled with water. Onward they went, while the rebel shell, canister and musketry cut through their ranks. When the 5th Wisconsin arrived at the works it was about dark and very difficult to distinguish between friend and foe. The right of the line was driven back, but soon regained the lost ground. Getting possession of the center redoubt, the regiments turned their fire towards the flanks, which cleared the way for the whole line to take possession. The first man in the redoubt was Sergeant Goodwin, of Company A, who with assistance turned a gun upon the enemy and when he was about to fire was shot through the heart. Just as the men were going over into the center redoubt and taking possession, Colonel Allen was struck by a bullet which shattered his left hand so badly as to render him unfit for duty. The enemy attempted to escape by a pontoon bridge, but they were met by such a concentrated fire that they gladly surrendered. Eight regiments were captured, with their colors and arms, and seven pieces of artillery. The day was won, but at a severe loss to the regiment.
On the death of Major Wheeler, Captain Enoch Totten, of Company F, was appointed Major.
The enemy was pursued as far as Brandy Station, where the regiment went into camp until November 24th, when they took part in the fruitless expedition to Mine Run, being in the engagement at Locust Grove, where they had two men wounded. they then returned to winter quarters at Brandy Station and engaged in camp and drill duty. They also participated in a few reconnaissance's and short expeditions, but mostly they waited for the opening of the 1864 campaign season.
During the winter, 204 veterans reenlisted. this was not a sufficient number to make the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry a veteran regiment. The reenlisted veterans came home on furlough and returned in time for the spring campaign.
On May 4th, the regiment left camp, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Catlin, to take part in the Wilderness campaign. Colonel Allen was on detached duty at Washington at this time. The regiment crossed the Rapidan at Germania Ford and marched 18 miles to the bivouac site. The correspondence in regard to the operations of the regiment in the Battles of the Wilderness is very meager, and we avail ourselves to the report of the Adjutant General as affording the best information of its movements. The regiment followed the movements of the VI Corps. On the morning of the 5th, the regiment formed into a line of battle, with the rest of the division. The right wing was deployed as skirmishers, under Major Totten, to the right of the line, and the engagement soon became general. A heavy force of the enemy forced back a portion of the line on the left of the regiment. In doing so, the rebel flank was exposed. This was taken advantage of by Companies D and G, who attacked and captured the entire 25th Virginia Volunteer Infantry regiment, with its colors. The right was heavily engaged in skirmishing all day, while the left wing fought in the brigade line, the whole regiment losing heavily. The fight was continued the next day, with a loss of 38 causalities. At one time during the night, the enemy turned the right flank of the VI Corps and was forcing back a portion of the Third Brigade, when the 5th Wisconsin, now under Major Totten, came to the rescue. In a gallant manner, they checked the rebels and held a position until the division came up. On the 7th, a new line of battle was formed to the left, about four miles from Chancellorsville, and awaited an enemy attack that never came. On the 8th, the regiment advanced to Spotsylvania Court House and fought in rifle pits all afternoon. This continued until the next day. On the 10th, the regiment was engaged on the skirmish line and in the rifle pits, but were unsupported by the rear line. They were compelled to fall back under a flank fire, and the regiment suffered heavy causalities. On the 11th, the regiment was under the command of Captain Kempf, of Company C, because Lieutenant Colonel Catlin was disabled and off duty, and Major Totten was wounded.
Accompanying the movements of the VI Corps, the regiment took an active part in the operations of the campaign. After leaving the vicinity of Spottsylvania, they engaged in destroying the Virginia Central Railroad, with occasional skirmishing as they advanced, and arrived at Cold Harbor about June 1st. They were somewhat exhausted from the hardships of the campaign and suffered for clothing and other supplies. This did not deter them from joining in a charge on the enemy works at Cold Harbor, and capturing the entrenchment's with a number of prisoners. They remained at this place, constantly exposed to the enemy's fire, until June 12th, when the Corps marched to their position in the trenches of Petersburg. They participated in the charge of the 22nd, where they captured a portion of the enemy's works. On the 29th, they moved to Reams' Station, on the Welden Railroad, ten miles south of Petersburg. Here they were in fatigue and picket duty until July 11th.
The regiment accompanied the movement of the VI Corps to Washington, to assist in the defense of that city. They arrived on the 12th, the same that that the three years term of the non-veterans expired. Even though their enlistment's were up, they still volunteered for the defense of the Capitol. Once the danger passed, they left Washington on the 16th for Wisconsin. They arrived at Madison on the 22nd. They received a hearty welcome from the State authorities and were finally mustered out on August 3rd. Thus ended the service of the original regiment.
The reenlisted veterans and recruits were organized into an "Independent Battalion" of three companies, under the command of Captain Charles W. Kempf, of Company A. Company B was commanded by Captain Jacob H. Cook and Company C was commanded by Captain M. L. Butterfield. On July 13th they moved with the VI Corps to the Shenandoah Valley. The battalion participated in the engagement at Snicker's Gap on the 18th and returned to Washington on the 26th. The battalion then proceeded to Harper's Ferry and rejoined the VI Corps. One man was wounded when the battalion participated in the action at Charleston. They remained in Charleston and performed picket and guard duty until September 19th, when they moved forward. They took part in the battle of Cedar Creek, losing four killed and 11 wounded. Afterwards, their brigade moved to Winchester and performed garrison duty.
Wisconsin 5th Regiment, Volunteer Infantry (Reorganized)
On the muster out of service of the "Old Fifth," Governor Lewis authorized its reorganization, and recommissioned Colonel Allen to lead it. Under his supervision, seven companies were rapidly recruited, organized, and mustered into the United States service. They left the state on October 2, 1864 to join the rest of the regiment at Winchester.
The seven companies arrived at Washington, received arms, and were sent to Alexandria, where they remained, doing provost guard duty. On October 20th, they proceeded by way of Martinsburg and Winchester to Cedar Creek, where they joined the battalion and the forces under General Sheridan. The regiment remained at that place until December 1st and Colonel Allen was placed in command of the brigade. With the VI Corps, they rejoined the forces of General Grant in the trenches of Petersburg on December 4th. They remained there until February 5, 1865, when they took part in the extension of the lines at Dabney's Mills, on Hatcher's Run. The regiment suffered little loss in that engagement, because they were held in reserve. Charles Berringer of Company C and Riley C. Tryon of Company G were wounded
On March 25th, the regiment participated in the general skirmish along the whole line and succeeded in driving in the rebel outpost then in front. Here Sergeant William Hall of Company C and Private Edward Martin of Company G were killed. Also, Privates John Morrison and H. S. Otis of Company D, Corporal James D. Splain of Company G, and Charles O. Foot of Company K were wounded.
In the charge on the enemy's works at Petersburg on April 2nd, the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and the 37th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, both lead by Colonel Allen, were in the extreme front. They were supported by two lines in the rear. At 4 AM, the signal for the charge was given and the colors of the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry were the first planted on the enemy's works. The 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry was the first regiment to enter the captured works of Petersburg. Colonel Allen led a portion of the regiment two miles through the abandoned lines of the enemy to the South Side Railroad. By 8 AM, the troops were reassembled and marched six miles to the left inside the late rebel works. They captured many prisoners. The regiment returned to the right, where they were engaged in skirmishing until night.
The loss of the regiment was about one-tenth of that suffered by the whole corps, consisting of 50 regiments.
On the afternoon of April 3rd, the regiment joined in the pursuit of Lee, marching with great rapidity by day and night. The VI Corps encountered General Ewell's forces at Little Sailors' Creek on the 7th. The lines were hurriedly formed and they pushed forward at a double quick. The regiment marched with an unbroken line through a swamp waist deep and under the fire of the enemy's musketry. They moved to the brow of a hill, where the enemy was discovered but a few paces distant, admirably posted, and fighting with the energy of despair. The regiment was in an extremely hazardous position, being subjected to a severe flank and cross fire. Colonel Allen rode in advance of the line as calmly as through danger was unknown. Companies C and G were deployed as skirmishers. Lieutenant General Ewell and staff surrendered to six men of the skirmishers, under command of Sergeant Cameron, of Company A, who was promoted to Second Lieutenant on the field for his gallantry. The action of the regiment elicited high encomiums from the corps, division, and brigade commanders.
The pursuit was continued until April 9th, when General Lee surrendered. On the 10th, the regiment commenced its return, and reached Burke's Station on the evening of the 13th. Here they encamped until the 23rd, and marched to Danville, arriving there on the 27th. They left Danville on May 3rd, and arrived at Wilson's Station by rain on the 4th. On May 18th, they marched for Richmond. They arrived on the 20th and left four days later for Washington, where they arrived on June 2nd, after a long and tedious march. The regiment left Washington on June 16th, and arrived at Madison four days later. The regiment was soon mustered out, thus closing the record of the "Fighting Fifth."
Colonel Allen was brevetted Brigadier General for gallant and meritorious services during the war.
Regimental Statistics - Original strength, 1,058. Gain - by recruits in 1863, 210, in 1864, 684, in 1865, 25; by substitutes, 50; by draft in 1865, 25; by veteran reenlistments, 204; total, 2,256. Loss - by death, 285; missing, 4; deserted, 105; transferred, 33; discharged, 405; mustered out, 1,424.
All the information on this page was taken from The Military History of Wisconsin: A Record of the Civil and Military Patriotism of the State in the War for the Union, by E. B. Quiner, Esq.
More to come...
Resources specific to Wisconsin (Source:
Stories: The Civil War at Home)
John O. Holzhueter, ed. Madison During the Civil War Era: A Portfolio of Rare Photographs by John S. Fuller, 1860-1863. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1997. Based on an article in the Wisconsin Magazine of History, this collection of wartime photographs offer a glimpse into Madison's past.
Frank L. Klement, Wisconsin in the Civil War: The Home Front and Battle Front, 1861-1865. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1997. Offers an introduction to Wisconsin's role in the war.
Carolyn J. Mattern, Soldiers When They Go: The Story of Camp Randall, 1861-1865. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1981. An account of Camp Randall and Madison during the war.
Frederick Merk, Economic History of Wisconsin During the Civil War Decade. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1916, reprinted 1971. This older study offers a bounty of detail about economic life in Wisconsin.
Wisconsin's military effort
Rufus Dawes, A Full Blown Yankee of the Iron Brigade: Service with the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers. Marietta, Ohio: 1890, reprinted Madison, 1962. An account of the experience of war, written by a Wisconsin officer in the Iron Brigade.
Alan T. Nolan, The Iron Brigade: A Military History. New York: Macmillan, 1961, reprinted Madison, 1975. An account of Wisconsin's best-known contribution to the Union army.
Roster of Wisconsin Civil War Soldiers Scanned from the original printed rosters and index, every Wisconsin soldier is listed, along with his hometown and service record.
Lesson Plan for Wisconsin in the Civil War Created by the SHSW Office of School Services, this site allows students and adults to explore the home front in Wisconsin through letters, photos, and other original materials.
Wisconsin Electric Reader This Web site provides more information on Camp Randall and its history.
Selected Civil War Photographs A collection of over 1,100 photographs from the Library of Congress. The following two sites provide links to thousands of other Web sites related to the Civil War.
Source: The History of Waukesha County, 1880;
by Fred H. Keller
The Town of Lisbon (Sussex included - was un unincorporated crossroads village in the Town) had its share of soldiers and camp volunteers during the momentous four-year (1861-1865) war between states known in the Union North as the Civil War. There are a lot of notations on who, how mnay and who else might be involved. Despite these lists, no record is ever complete but this feature about Lisbon's involvement will try to list them.
During the Civil War, the Wisconsin had an estimated 96,000 soldiers in the ranks of the Northern Union forces. That works out to 12.4 percent of the state population, or one out of eight.was 775,881 (1860 Census)
State soldiers who died in the Civil War was 12,218 or 12.3 percent of the 96,000 serving.
This death rate works out for Wisconsin as 1.6 percent of the estimated Wisconsin population died in the armed forces.
By comparison, World War I saw Wisconsin with a population of 3,157.587 of which 375,000 served in the armed forces against Germany and Japan; 2.1 percent of Wisconsin soldiers died in World War II (7,980 or one if 50 of the soldiers from Wisconsin involved.)
Today the cemeteries in Lisbon and Sussex bury some of the killed in Civil War service, but many more who served were discharged and died after the war. Many of the graves are marked with "GAR" metal medallions however, many of the medallions have been stolen. Many are buried under the white marble U.S. government-issued markers.
The following is a roster of Lisbon soldiers taken from page 516 in the "1880 History of Waukesha County" augmented by an additional roster from the 1989 "Weaver Civil War Diary." This has particular emphasis on the Waukesha Regiment, the celebrated
Wisconsin 28th Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
First Infantry: B. Daniel, H. Henshaw, James and Amos Greenago.
Fifth Infantry: Andrew J. Smith, Thomas Larkin, Samuel Gower, James Botsford, Joseph Gray, Hiram Hine and Robert Powrie.
10th Infantry: Andrew Howitt.
17th Infantry: John McKenna.
38th Infantry: F. Fish.
Regiment unknown: Frank Hine, Thompson Richmond, Elisha Pearl and H. Howard.
First Cavalry: George Boyce, Patrick Murphy, Thomas Dixon, William H. Thomas.
Now the Lisbon soldiers in the 28th Infantry were the biggest group from Lisbon in one unit according to the Weaver diary. They are: Company A Privates Edmond Wilkins, James Burton, Thomas H. Gower, George Jeffery (died March 6, 1863), Charles Luce (died Aug. 28, 1864), Henry G. Mead and Corp. Charles W. Wildish (died Aug. 21, 1863).
Company B: Privates Wallace B. Ellsworth, Frederick S. Weaver, Lucius Weaver and Sgt. Alfred Weaver.
Company F: Privates Gottlieb Bohrmann, Thomas Butler, Benjamin Campbell, Amasa Carpenter, Samuel Crouch (deserted), George Dingledein, John Field, George Fielder (died Oct. 30, 1863), Charles McGill (died Sept. 2, 1864), Levi Palmer, John Taylor (died Sept. 3, 1863), Corp. James Moyes, William Rankin, John Watson, Regiment 1st Sgt. Alexander Rodgers, Second Lt. George Higgins and Capt. Jeremiah Noon (died Aug. 10, 1863).
Company G: Private Edward H. Dougherty and Second Lt. Andrew McKee.
Company H: Andrew Ennis, Louis Gebmann (died Sept. 6, 1864), Patrick Hanley (deserted), Thomas Lannon, Amost Rosier, Second Lt. John A. Hurtgen and Company K private George A. Mason.
James Templeton is credited with being part of the 28th and did serve but he is not on the regiment's roster.
James A. Elliot served as a teamster with the 28th.
Notable among the men was John Moyes whose land today is the Sussex Village Park plus the fire department.
Corp. John Watson became the Lisbon Town Chairman in 1871-72, earlier Thompson Richmond was Town Chairman from 1883-84. The lone son of the deceased Charles McGill, William D. McGill, became a long term Town Chairman serving from 1889-90 and then again from 1904-07 and 1922-24. He started the Sussex Associated Bank. His father, Charles McGill is buried in Pine Bluff, Ark. Thompson Richmond and James Templeton have schools in Lisbon named after them.