Histories - Weaver
Why in the Township of Augusta,
Oneida County, New York state ?
1829 Oneida County, New York
Some early history of Augusta (Agusta)
History of Agusta, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Oneida County, N. Y. For 1869.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1862
AGUSTA was formed from Whitestown, March 15, 1798. A part of Vernon was taken
off in 1802, and a part of Stockbridge (Madison Co.) in 1836. This town is
included in the south part of the tract leased from the Oneidas in 1794, to
Peter Smith, father of Hon. Gerrit Smith, and called the "New Petersburgh
Tract." Authorities respecting this tract are somewhat contiicting. It is said
by some that this tract was presented to Peter Smith by the Oneidas;. by others
that it was leased for 999 years, which is about equivalent, and by others that
the lease was for only twenty-one years. The tract was divided into four
allotments, the first of which lies wholly within this town. The lease was
assumed by the State in 1795-97 and patents were granted to settlers, Smith
retaining six lots in the town in part payment for his lease. The first settlers
took their lands as tenants under Smith. Part of the Oneida Reservation,
purchased in 1795 and sold at auction in 1797, is included in the north part of
the town. The town lies upon the west border of the County, south of the center.
Its surface is a rolling upland, lying upon two ranges of hills that run north
and south through the town on opposite sides of Skanandoa Creek. On these hills
are inexhaustible beds of limestone, which have been extensively quarried for
fences and building purposes. Oriskany Creek flows through the south-east corner
and Skanandoa Creek flows north through near the center of the town. The soil is
generally very fertile, varying from a clayey to a sand.y loam.
Augusta, (p. v.) situated near the center of the town, contains one church, a
store, several mills and mechanic shops, and about fifty houses.
Knox Corners, (p. v.) situated a little north-west of the center, contains one
church, a store and about sixty houses.
Oriskany Falls, (p. v.) in the south-east corner of the town, contains two
churches, a hotel, two stores, two woolen mills, a flouring mill, a saw mill, a
machine shop and about 800 inhabitants.
The first settlement was made by a man named Gunn, in 1793. Benjamin Warren
built the second habitation for white people within the limits of the town. On
the 17th of August of the same year, Ichabod Stafford, Joseph and Abraham
Forbes, and their families, settled upon the East Hill. Some of them slept in
their cart the first night they lodged in Augusta. Isaac and Benjamin Allen
settled here in 1794. Among other early settlers were David Morton, John Alden,
Amos Parker, Thomas Cassaty, Ozias and Lemuel Hart, James Reynolds, Abel Prior,
Thomas Spafford, Ezra Saxton, Abiel Lindsey and Francis O'Toole. Mr. Parker was
a soldier of the Revolution and did gallant service for his country. At one time
he saved the life of LaFayette by disobeying orders. In 1824, when LaFayette was
the "Nation's Guest," Parker called at his room in Utica and reminded him of the
circumstance, when they both "wept, like Joseph and Benjamin, upon each other's
neck." Mr. Parker was present at the surrender of Cornwallis.
Francis O'Toole was an educated Irishman, impressed into the service of England
while on his way to France to complete his education. He was engaged in a number
of battles, and after three years landed in Boston without money or friends. The
following incident is copied from Jones's Oneida, and said to have been related
to a friend by O'Toole himself: "After he had landed in Boston he went to
Hartford, Conn., where he hired to Col. Thomas Seymour, with whom he lived two
years. Frank had the fortune soon to ingratiate himself into the favor of the
Colonel and his lady. For the first year he passed as a wild, unlettered
Irishman. Upon one occasion Mrs. Seymour kindly proffered her services to teach
him to read. Frank, with the greatest possible nonchalance depicted upon his
countenance, gravely told her he thought himself too old to commence an
education. His benevolent employers were not undeceived as to his knowledge of
letters until his second year's service, and he was then detected as follows:
Col. Seymour had a son by the name of Richard, pursuing his studies at Yale
College. Being at home during his vacation, he wished to excite some wonder
among the servants in the kitchen by a display of his learning by 'spouting' a
sentence in Latin. His pedantry threw poor Frank off his guard, and Richard was
retorted upon severely in the same language. This was overheard by Mrs. S. in an
adjoining room, who soon made her appearance and told her son she thought he
would be very much improved by a further acquaintance in the kitchen. The news
soon spread that Col. Seymour's wild Irishman was liberally educated, and he who
had been only greeted with the epithets of Pat and Paddy was now addressed as
Mr. O'Toole." He located in this town in 1794, and remained till his death, in
In the spring of 1797 five families from Litchfield County, Conn., settled on
the road leading south from the center of the town. At the organization of the
town in 1798, Gen. Augustus Van Horn promised Col. Thomas Cassaty a new military
hat if he would have the town named in honor of him (Gen. V. H.); the name was
so near that of the General's that he gave Col. C. the hat.
The first town meeting was held. at the house of Timothy Pond, Jr.; Thomas
Cassaty was chosen Supervisor, and Joseph Durkee, Town Clerk. Mr. Durkee held
the office twenty-four consecutive years. Col. Cassaty was a Justice of the
Peace, and administered the oath of office as Supervisor to himself; and
certified that the oath was taken before himself. He built the first saw mill,
in 1795, at Oriskany Falls, and the next year a grist mill was built. A grist
mill was built at Fishville, in 1808, by Charles Fish and Benjamin Gregg, and in
1809 one was erected at the center by Josiah Bartholomew and Eleazar Metcalf.
The first birth was that of Peter Smith Gunn; the first marriage that of Daniel
Hart and Catharine Putnam, and the first death that of Eleazer Putnam, in 1795.
The first merchant was a Mr. Adams, who kept his goods in the house of Ichabod
Stafford, in 1798. The first religious services were held in the house of Mr.
Fairbanks, in 1794. In 1797 a Congregational Church was formed with nine
members, whose names were Isaiah Gilbert, Experience Gilbert, Benjamin Durkee,
Susanna Durkee, Thomas Stafford, Lucy Stafford, Ezra Saxton, Abiel Linsley and
Anna Linsley. After the formation of the society, they held services on the
Sabbath in school houses, barns, private-dwellings, and sometimes in the open
The population in 1865 was 2,061, and its area 16,903 acres.
There are twelve school districts, employing thirteen teachers. The who1e number
of children of school age is 783; the number attending school, 647; the average
attendance, 265; and the amount expended for school purposes during the year
ending September 30th, 1868, was $3,099.04.
Communities and locations in Augusta
Augusta -- The hamlet of Augusta on NY 26.
Five Corners -- A location northeast of Augusta.
Knoxboro -- A hamlet northwest of Augusta.
Lloyds Corners -- A location south of August.
Lyons Mills -- A hamlet west of Oriskany Falls.
Newell Corners -- A location west of Lloyds Corners.
Oriskany Falls -- The Village of Oriskany Falls is in the southeast section
of the Town of Augusta and partly overlaps the Town of Marshall. The community
is at the intersection of Routes 12B and 26, which share a brief concurrency
within the village and south to Bouckville. The community was first settled
around 1794. It was originally known as Cassety Hollow, and was incorporated as
the Village of Oriskany Falls in the 1880s. In the mid and late 1900s, Mr.
George Tucker owned a large portion of the town, which he donated to the people,
including a church and the local store, "Tucker's Big M." The store, however,
was sold in 2004 to the "Shur-Fine" corporation, who had a gas station put in
and remodeled the storefront, and then again in 2006 to brothers-in-law Badal
Singh and Sukhminder Singh, natives of India. The two men and their families
moved upstate from New York City for a quieter lifestyle and better schools.
Wells Corners -- A hamlet in the northeast part of the town.
Editor's Note: As you see from the short history above, the
township had been settled for some 40 years before the Weaver (and Bonham)
families arrived here. What was the attraction?
1835 Oneida County, New York
Oneida County, NY