Genealogy: Family Histories
John Moyes Family
Compiled and Edited by Michael R. Reilly
Last Revised 09/16/2007
Descendants of John Moyes
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 MOYES was born Abt. 1810 in Scotland, and died Bef. 1850 in Town of Lisbon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA (Source: 1850 Federal Census, Not listed in 1850 Census, wife is head of house and a farmer.). He married ELIZABETH RODGERS Abt. 1829 in Scotland. She was born Abt. 1806 in Scotland, and died Aft. 1880.
More About JOHN MOYES:
Emigration 1: 1841, Left from Glasglow, Scotland, taking 53 days to reach New York, from there the family of 7 went Buffalo, NY, then onto Hamilton, Canada.
Emigration 2: Jul 1842, Arrived in Milwaukee via Great Lakes and went to Town of Lisbon.
Residence: 04 Nov 1846, Owned 80 acres where Sussex Village Park now stands.
More About JOHN MOYES and ELIZABETH RODGERS:
Marriage: Abt. 1829, Scotland
Children of JOHN MOYES and ELIZABETH RODGERS are:
i. JANET2 MOYES, b. Abt. 1830, Scotland.
ii. JOHN MOYES, b. Abt. 1832, Scotland.
iii. ELIZABETH C. MOYES, b. Abt. 1836, Scotland.
iv. MARGARET MOYES, b. Abt. 1836, Scotland.
2. v. JAMES J. MOYES, b. 21 May 1837, Perthshire, Scotland; d. 28 Jul 1913.
vi. MARY MOYES, b. Abt. 1840, Scotland.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES J.2 MOYES (JOHN1) was born 21 May 1837 in Perthshire, Scotland, and died 28 Jul 1913. He married MARY SOPHIA WEAVER 28 Aug 1862, daughter of STEPHEN WEAVER and PHOEBE MAXON. She was born 16 Jul 1841 in Chenango Co., New York (Source: Descendants of Stephen & Phoebe (Maxon) Weaver, Show her born in Augusta, Oneida, New York.), and died 04 Mar 1896.
More About JAMES J. MOYES:
Burial: Lisbon Central Cemetery
Elected 1: member of the Sussex Lodge No. 224 I.O.O.F. (International Order of Foresters)
Elected 2: Free Soiler and Abolitionist, then Republican having voted for Lincoln twice.
Elected 3: Joined and served as vice commander of Townsend Post No. 192 of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Military service 1: 21 Aug 1863, One of 17 Lisbon men in Co. F., 28th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment. Officially mustered in Oct 13, 1862.
Military service 2: 25 Aug 1865, Mustered Out, discharged in Madison, Wisconsin.
Religion: Lisbon United Presbyterian Church
Residence: 1959, Village of Sussex bought the Moyes-Marsden property of 78 acres and buildings for $36,088.19 for the future Sussex Village Park.
More About MARY SOPHIA WEAVER:
Burial: Lisbon Central Cemetery
More About JAMES MOYES and MARY WEAVER:
Marriage: 28 Aug 1862
Children of JAMES MOYES and MARY WEAVER are:
i. ALICE M.3 MOYES, b. 1863, Lisbon, Waukesha, Wisconsin; d. 05 Apr 1892, Of consumption (tuberculosis).
3. ii. EVA JANE MOYES, b. 26 May 1869.
Generation No. 3
3. EVA JANE3 MOYES (JAMES J.2, JOHN1) was born 26 May 1869. She married JOSEPH MARSDEN Feb 1893.
Notes for EVA JANE MOYES:
1900 Census has her birth as Jan 1872; the 1880 Census also lists her as being 8 years old or 1872
More About EVA JANE MOYES:
Burial: Lisbon Central Cemtery
More About JOSEPH MARSDEN:
Occupation 1: Built Sussex downtown general store, that became Lees Building then the Schumann IGA which was destroyed by fire in 1966, now Sentry Foods.
Occupation 2: Built feed mill on the Northwestern team track off present Maple Ave, Sussex.
Occupation 3: Opened a soda water plant (Diamond Springs Beverage Company) where Quality Block is now (2001).
More About JOSEPH MARSDEN and EVA MOYES:
Marriage: Feb 1893
Child of EVA MOYES and JOSEPH MARSDEN is:
i. CLEMENCE4 MARSDEN, b. Aug 1895, Lisbon, Waukesha, Wisconsin.