Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Search this site and our local communities. Wisconsin History Search Only

You may now join, or renew your SLAHS membership using your PayPal account, credit, or debit card.

Please use the following link to make a secure on-line payment.

Home
About Us
Search this site
History
Genealogy
Museum
Membership
Monetary Donations

Artifact Donations

Buy A Brick Donation

Fundraiser Letter

Notable Links
Antiqibles
Index to Wisconsin Brewery and Related Articles
   

 

Genealogy: Cemetery: Index

Redeemer United Church of Christ aka Salem Reformed Church of Pewaukee and Zion Evangelical Church formerly German Evangelical Zion Church

    Transcribed by Ellen Rohr and her daughter Rebecca October 13, 2001. Located about 3 blocks North of St. Alban's Church on Maple Avenue in the Village of Sussex.

    This cemetery seems to be still active, although there have been no burials since the 1996. Many of the plots have sunk and the tomb is appearing above ground. Established in 1890. The first burial was on March 31, 1890, that of Lillie Alma Walter, daughter of Franz Walter and Caroline Brandt. This stone no longer exists. The oldest stone remaining is that of Louis Schroeder 1891.

    The church (Zion Evangelical Church aka German Evangelical Zion Church) was organized October 25, 1888. The church was completed in 1889. The parish was then served by the pastors from Brookfield and Menomonee Falls. From 1890-1898 it was served by pastors from Merton. In January, 1890, August Mindemann gave the congregation 1/4 acre of land for use as a burial ground. In 1917, the church got its first resident pastor. In the first 50 years of the church (1888-1838) there were ten pastors in the church. 103 funerals were performed during that time. The church merged with the Salem Reformed Church of Pewaukee in 1868. Together they formed the Redeemer United Church of Christ.

    The contents of this page is used with permission by the original creator Ellen Rohr, Waukesha County GenWeb Coordinator. It is duplicated here to make it easier for you to find your information. For the most complete information on this cemetery please see http://www.linkstothepast.com/waukesha/53.html  Any corrections or additions to this cemetery can be sent to the webmaster below or to the Waukesha County GenWeb coordinator, Ellen Rohr.

    An alphabetical listing of burials can be found here.
ossw = on the same stone with

ALBRECHT:
Albrecht Family Stone (no data), next to:
Albrecht/Bertha/1874-1938, ossw:
John D. 1870-1928, next to:
Albrecht family stone (no data)
(behind the Meyer/Albrecht/Marx stones is a large Albrecht stone.
This stone's base appears to be in the next row.)
John Albrecht/Apr 18, 1832/Apr 10, 1916, ossw:
Lotta Albrecht/Aug 24, 1832/Aug 14, 1893
Mother (no data), next to:
Father (no data), next to:
Empty Base (I think this is the base from Albrecht found in previous row), next to:
George Albrecht/born Feb. 19,1895/died March 8, 1896

BECKER:
Inf son of H.S.E. Becker (no data)
BRANDT:
Pauline Brandt/wife of/Geo. Henn/1868-1913

BRUSHABER:
Charles Brushaber/1864-1897
Brushaber/George W./1889-1965, ossw:
Lilly/1893-1972

BUGE:
Mutter/Wilhelmina/1865-1916

FLITSCH:
Flitsch/Walter/1929-1975, ossw:
Sieglinde/1930-___, ossw:
Together Forever

GASTRAU:
Infant of E. Gastrau/1917

GEBERT:
Grandmother/Sophia Gebert/1828-1906, next to:
Grandfather/Frederick Gebert/1833-1922

HORNIG:
Ruhe Ganft/Sohn/Philipp, next to:
Ph. F. Hornig/Geb. in Altripp, Deutschland/1819-1896, ossw:
Ludwig Hornig/1843-1911, ossw:
Margaretha Hornig/geb Eisenhauer, Neuhoffen/1854-1935, ossw:
Ph. Hornig/1867-1918, next to:
Vater, next to:
Phillip F. Horning/1819-1996/inscription illeg.

KIRCHHOFF:
Gerhardt/Here lies little son of Carl & Bertha Kirchhoff/Apr. 23, 1912/
	Nov. 5, 1917/Buried on earth to be born again in heaven, next to:
Kirchhoff/Bertha/1891-1993, ossw:
Carl F./1887-1965

KOEPKE:
Frances Koepke/wife of Edw. Radema/1895-1918/At Rest

KOLLMORGAN:
Grandmother/Elizabeth/1819-1892, next to:
Daugther/Sophia/Mar 21, 1893/Jan. 31, 1898, next to
KOLLMORGAN family stone, next to:
Father/Frederick/Apr 3, 1852/Feb 5, 1911, next to:
Mother/Sophia/Aug 20, 1860/Aug 10, 1892

LIESCHKE:
Catte Une Vater/Max Lieschke/1887-1919

LUCZAK:
2 A. A. Schmidt cemetery markers
Severa H. Luczak/1913-1987, next to:
Frank W. Luczak/1907-1980

MAMEROW:
Mamerow/Father/Carl F./Sept. 18, 1856/June 24, 1937, ossw:
Mother/Minnie J./May 4, 1859/Sept. 24, 1939
Father Footstone, next to:
Mamerow/Karl Mamerow Sr./Geb Den 28 Oct 1827/Gest Den 28 Nov 1912, ossw:
Sophia/Wife of Karl Mamerow Sr./Geb Den 27 July 1833/Gest Den 18 Oct 1907
	next to:
Mother Footstone, next to:
Herman Mamerow/Infant/Sept 18, 1918
Father (no data), next to:
Mamerow/William Mamerow/Oct. 31, 1860/Apr 13, 1938, ossw:
His wife/Fredericka Albrecht/Oct. 23, 1858/Mar 1, 1917, next to:
Kind von/Wm. & R. Mamerow/Gest 16 Feb 1894

MANKE:
Manke/Elizabeth M./1876-1956, ossw:
August F./1875-1964

MARX:
Vater/Konrad Marx/1838-1904, next to:
Mutter/Anna Maria Karl/1842-1920, next to:
Daughter/Anna M. Marx/1892-1957
(fallen) Susanna Hornig/Gattin von Valentin Marx/1870-1911, next to
(base no stone), next to:
(fallen)Vater/Valentin Marx/1866-1943

MEIER:
Meier/Dorothy/1849-1925, ossw:
Fred/1852-1952

MEYER:
Catte/Louis Meyer/Geb 17, Nov 1861/Gest 12 Juni 1904/Ruhe in Frieden

MILLER:
Fred Miller/1861-1935 (tombstone partial buried), next to:
Helen C. Miller/1917-1919, next to:
Emilie Miller/1871-1952
Father/Jacob Miller/Feb 9, 1855/July 8, 1918

MINEDMANN:
August J. Mindemann/Geb 25 Dec 1842/Gest 23 Feb 1911, ossw:
Wilhelmine Mindemann/Geb 30 Aug 1845/Gest 19 Nov 1904, next to:
Vater (no data, German inscription illegible), next to:
Mutter (no data, German inscription illegible), next to:
Johann/Harrman/Geb Den 16 Nov 1812/Gest Den 28 July 1893/Alter 80 Jahre 3Mo 16 Tage/German inscription

MOEDE:
Herman Moede/Born Dec 2, 1867/Died Apr 30, 1902, next to:

RIEWE:
Paul H.A. RIEWE/1924-1961
Paul A. 1898-1979, ossw:
Elizabeth/1901-1975, ossw:
Married Nov. 29, 1923, next to:
Mother Footstone, next to:
Riewe/Father/Albert/Mar. 17, 1862/Jan. 18, 1929, ossw:
Mother/Emilie/Nov. 17, 1861/Aug. 14, 1923, next to:
Father Footstone

SCHMIDT:
Schmidt Family Stone (no data), next to:
Son/William Schmidt/1882-1900, next to:
Father/Christian Schmidt/1851-1923, next to:
Mother/Fredricka Schmidt/1855-1936

SCHROEDER:
Erwin Schroeder/1898-1925, next to:
Louis/May 5, 18??/Apr. 18, 1891/Husband, next to:
Minnie/Feb. 12, 1887/Sept. 11, 1913/Sister, next to:
Schroeder Family Stone (no data), next to:
Albert/June 30, 1894/Feb. 21, 1918/Brother, next to:
Father/Carl Schroeder/June 14, 1859-Aug. 1, 1925, next to:
Henrietta/Sep. 29, 1863/Apr. 21, 1912/Mother
Schroeder/Father/Louis/1864-1949, ossw:
Mother/Libby/1868-1934

SCHULTZ:
Carl Schultz/1831-1913
Margaret Schultz/1843-1906

SIEWERT:
Siewert/Son William (no data), ossw:
Infant Clinton (no data), ossw:
Albertina/1864-1942, ossw:
Wilhelm/1862-1944, ossw:
(these listed on back of stone)
Emma Mueller/1881-1963, ossw:
Francis Luczak/1907-1980, ossw:
Serva Luczak/1913-1987

SOMMER:
Hier Runtin Gott/Carl Friedrich Sommer/Geb 2 Juli 1822/
	Gest 25 April 1898

STIER:
G. Vater/Jakob/1 Nov. 1815/27 Juli 1903, next to:
Mutter (no data), next to:
Vater (no data), next to:
Stier/Anna M. Stier/17 Oct. 1849/19 Juni 1908, ossw:
Jacob Stier/27 Juni 1847/27 Aug 1933
Father (no data)
Stier/Philip Stier/Jan 26, 1842/Oct. 8, 1903, ossw:
Mary/his wife/Aug 26, 1841/Mar 18, 1902
(on Back)
Carrie/Nov 14, 1879/June 9, 1896, next to:
lying flat on ground
Carrie (no data) on top of
Mother (no data)
Daughter/Eva Marie Stier/1912-1928, next to:
Husband/John P. Stier/1884-1936, next to:
Wife/Emma Stier/1886-1982 

UNVERRICH:
Unverrich/Father/Nicholas/1869-1945, ossw:
Mother/Maria/1872-1953, ossw:
Son/Theodore/1910-1927, ossw:
Son/Theodore/1908-1909
ZANDERS:
George R. Zanders/1892-1936
Zanders/Johan Zanders/GEb 24 Sept. 1862/Gest 28 Marz 1898/illeg. inscription

WALTER:
Minna/Gattin Von/C.J. Walter/Gest. 29 Mar 1892/Alter 27 Jahre
Small stone behind large monument above
Herbert/son of Mr. & Mrs. C.J. Walter/Mar. 26, 1897/May 21, 1898
Updated 13 October 2001

Home / About Us  / Membership / Search this site

Copyright Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc., , 2002 - 2016, Except as noted: All documents placed on the SLAHS.org website remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, these documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. They may be used by non-commercial entities, when written permission is obtained from the contributor, so long as all notices and submitter information are included. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit. Any other use, including copying files to other sites, requires permission from the contributors PRIOR to uploading to the other sites. The submitter has given permission to the SLAHS.org website to store the file(s) for free access. Such permission may be revoked upon written notice to the SLAHS.org website webmaster. Website's design, hosting, and maintenance are donated by Website Editor & Webmaster: Michael R. Reilly (Mike)