William Hartig Family Genealogy & Brewery History
"Now with new Carl Manz Information & Photos"
Compiled, Edited & Written by Mike Reilly
Revised on 03/08/2015
William or Wilhelm Hartig was born on August 11, 1851 in Miltenberg, Bavaria, Germany, the same town from where his Uncle August Krug came from and is believed where he married William's Aunt Anna Maria Hartig. William's mother is Margaretha Hartig [2/27/1824 - 1/17/1896, Milw. Death Cert. V135 P460 has birth as 3/30/1826 in Miltenberg as lists Josef as father - no last name] mentioned in both Joseph and Anna Maria Schlitz' wills. But who was William's father? Margaretha is listed as Anna Maria's sister several times, but the entries might have meant sister-in-law. [There was an earlier Hartig death in Milwaukee, that of Carl who was buried at Forest Home Cemetery on July 5, 1866 - relative of Anna Maria?] [ New recently uncovered news - William's Milwaukee marriage certificate V7 P706 to Louisa Marshall reveals that a Charles and Margaretha Hartig are his parents, and gives his birthplace. That Charles maybe the Carl that died earlier but a death certificate wasn't available at the Milwaukee County Register of Deeds office]]
According to a Watertown Daily Times news article [June 12, 1976], William arrived alone in Milwaukee at the age of 12, this would be approx 1863. Afterwards he was supposed to have spent one or more years at the Engelmann German-English School. The first Milwaukee City Directory listing for William Hartig is the 1869-70, "William Hartig, brewer, Joseph Schlitz, res. 420 Chestnut" . So at age 19, William was working for Joseph Schlitz, the husband of his aunt, Anna Maria, who married Schlitz a few years after August Krug died in 1856. He's also living/boarding with the Schlitzs as is his cousin August Uihlein, who has been working for Schlitz now as a bookkeeper for a couple of years.
Before William arrived in Milwaukee, his Uncle Philip [also spelled Phillip] Hartig [Anna Maria's brother 6/14/1827 - 3/24/1893, Milw. Death Cert. V107 P178 ] was there as early as 1857 or sooner, working as a brewer and boarding at the Menomonee Hotel operated by a A. King. The following year's Directory is the only one listing Anna [Maria] Krug as widow of August, living in a house on Chestnut between Fourth and Fifth. Her brother Philip is working a saloon on Chestnut between Fourth and Fifth. It would seem that Philip is helping to run the Krug/Schlitz saloon/brewery and now boarding with them. Not only was Schlitz operating his brewery but at least an adjoining saloon or saloon/restaurant combination as had his later employer.
The 1859-60 Directory lists no Hartigs or Krugs, but Joseph Schlitz is now listed as a brewer at Chestnut between 4th & 5th, residing there as well. There is a "Brewers" category in the Directory commercial section but there's no listing under it until 1862, "J. Schlitz, 46 Chestnut". For the first time [1859-60], a "Joseph Uhrig, brewery, St. Louis, MO.", with a home on the Lisbon plank road is listed. Joseph Uhrig was the prosperous St. Louis brewer who was friendly with the Uihlein family in Wertheim and brought August Uihlein's brother Edward to America. This Lisbon plank road home proved to be the Summer Home for the Uhrig family for many years. The 1860-61 Directory first lists an "A. Uehlein, book-keeper, bds J. Schlitz, 38 Chestnut". [Notice the address difference]
Getting back to the Hartigs, Philip is working in a saloon in 1862 at 46 Chestnut, living near Vliet and Fourth Sts. [Note: There's a listing for a Mrs. Auguste Krug living at 7th and Poplar - no known tie in.] 1863 shows Philip still in a saloon but at 58 Chestnut living in a house on Fourth between Vliet and Cherry. There must have been an address adjustment by the City because the Joseph Schlitz brewery is at 56 Chestnut. 1863 also shows that one Charles Schmidt [listed as Anna Maria's executor later on] is now working not only as a bookkeeper at the Second Ward Bank since at least 1862, but is also boarding with the Schlitzs at 56 Chestnut. The commercial category "Breweries" lists " Joseph Schlitz, 56 Chestnut".
In the 1865 Directory, the address system has changed once more or the brewery/saloon has been moving around; it's now Joseph Schlitz, brewer, 420 Chestnut, residence same. No Hartigs are listed. The 1866-67 Directory has Joseph Schlitz , brewer, 418 and 420 Chestnut, residence same with Charles Schmidt boarding at 418 Chestnut. No Hartigs listed.
As mentioned above, William Hartig first appears in the 1869-70 Directory, and his Uncle Philip once again returns, but not working in the Schlitz saloon but working as a lumber dealer and living at 284 Mineral.
1870-71 bring more Hartigs in Milwaukee, Edward [unknown relative?] is a collector working for the Herold newspaper living at 589 Ninth. Joseph Hartig [Anna Maria's brother 6/1/1828 - 10/8/1892, Milw. Death Cert. V100 P378(?)] is a maltster at Schlitz and boards at the 420 Chestnut address. Philip has given up the lumber trade and works or is partners with Peter Enders as Enders & Co., a saloon at 419 E. Water St., living at 284 Mineral. William is still learning the brewing trade at Schlitz and continues boarding at 420 Chestnut. Meanwhile Joseph Schlitz's two nephews, John, working as a clerk (where?), and Charles working at or operating a wholesale wine and liquor shop at 295 3rd have also moved in with them. August Uehlein is still the only Uihlein listed, still as a bookkeeper for Schlitz's Brewery, also living at 420 Chestnut.
The 1871-72 and 1872-73 don't list William, but Uncle Philip is still a barkeeper or partial saloon owner with P. Enders & Co. living now at 708 Jefferson, while Uncle Joseph is listed as a laborer at the Schlitz brewery living at 523 Walnut. In 1872-73 the Schlitz brewery is now at the corner of Third and Walnut, perhaps Joseph is boarding at the brewery (?). The 1871-72 Directory also lists an "Anna Hartig, servant at the Milwaukee House at 210 Reed, and a Charles Hartig, laborer (where?), residing at 331 Fifth St. [Both Anna and Charles are unknowns]
1873-74 a Mrs. Eliza Hartig (a widow?) listed, living at 310 Third St. [see 1874-75] [another unknown relative factor]. Joseph Hartig lists himself as a brewer living at 523 Walnut, and his brother Philip is working for or with Peter Enders & Co, a saloon, at 419 E. Water, his residence may be the same location as above.
Meanwhile William has moved on working for Kargleder & Co as a brewer. John Kargleder and Albert Blatz were brewers at 624 Cherry. [ Note: American Breweries II lists a Kargleder as WI313 but it doesn't match with vicinity or date] [Added note - The listing is actually WI318d; John Kargleder & Co., Western Brewery, 1869-1875 when it became the Milwaukee Brewing Association until 1881. Originally it was founded in 1860 by John B Maier and Lorenz Winkler, aka John Maier & Co.'s Western Brewery at 7th & Cherry Sts. Maier got a new partner in 1862, a Fred Kohl, which lasted until 1868 when F. W. Manegold bought them out. Either Manegold died or didn't like the brewing business because he sold it a year later to John Kargleder & Co.]
William as Wilhelm returns to the City Directory in 1874-75, listed as a laborer for the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. [Schlitz incorporated in 1872]. William trained both as a business manager and brewmaster while at Schlitz. Uncle Philip is still at the 419 E. Water St. saloon living at 708 Jefferson, and Joseph still labors at Schlitz residing at 523 Walnut. There are two other Hartigs listed, Henry Hartig, a laborer residing at 873 Buffam, and a Mrs. Eliza Hartig (a widow?) listed as a washerwoman, living at 312 Third St. [Neither is known relation]
The 1875 Milwaukee City Directory has the Hartig pages missing.
Both of the above individuals are reported to be sisters of Anna Maria Hartig Krug Schlitz, but nothing has been found yet to fully identify them [Charlotte is Anna's sister-in-law married to her brother Philip]. The name Charlotte shows up again as a daughter of nephew William, so there must have been a close family relationship at some time. From Anna Maria's will, it would seem that they did live in Milwaukee. More searching of the Marriage and Death records in the Milwaukee County Courthouse may reveal additional information about them and the other Hartigs mentioned in this article.
Interesting -An article by Otto Tiegs "Local Support was Their Need for Survival...Storck Brewery Inc., first published in the American Breweriana Journal, July-August 1995, indicates that H. Charles Storck worked at the John Karglader brewery until it closed in 1875, Then he [Storck] moved on to Valentine Blatz's City Brewery where he met William Hartig. Based on the Milwaukee City Directory, William must have met Storck as early as 1873-74 at Kargleder's.
[Editor's Note: at this point this editor must review the Milwaukee City Directories following 1875 for the years afterward to determine William and H. Charles Storck (note - Storck came to America in 1868 though didn't arrive in Milwaukee until later) whereabouts and employment.
The Storck & Hartig Brewery - Schleisingerville (aka Slinger)
As noted above, William Hartig worked for period of time at the Western Brewery owned by John Kargleder & Co. ( Albert C. Blatz) where he met H. Charles Storck, whose main occupation was the machinist trade (actually he was a locksmith). Prior to coming to Milwaukee, be briefly worked in Rochester, New York and Chicago , Illinois. John Kargleder originally purchased the brewery property from A. Abrams at auction on June 25, 1873. [MS] Since Kargleder & Co. sold out in 1875, this must be the time both men moved to Valentine Blatz's City Brewery at Broadway & Division Sts. On 11/23/1874 John Kargleder assigns his Chicago patrons to the Val Blatz & Co. [In 1889 Blatz sold out to the United States Brewing Co., of Chicago]
William Hartig marries Louise [Louisa] Marshall , born November 20, 1857, daughter of Carl & Fredericke Marshall both of Saxony, Germany. Marriage Cert. V7 P706, on April 20, 1876. William's occupation is listed as a brewer and certificate is witnessed by his uncle Phillip and a John Fischer [unknown relationship].
Long before Val Blatz sold his business, William Hartig and H. Charles Storck moved to Schleisingerville, Wisconsin to purchase the brewery of ailing Lehman Rosenheimer. Rosenheimer had bought the brewery back in late 1870 from Benedict Kornburger, but after several years his son John had to assume management of the brewery's operation. Hartig and Storck purchased the brewery for $5,000 on September 10, 1877. Both invested $7,000 for improvements and hired Carl Panko, the local cooper to supply locally-grown hardwood barrels for their beer. Their investment was spent on building a brick addition and installing new equipment. Storck and Hartig's first beer sale was packaged in 1/8 wooden barrels selling for $1.00 [It would appear evident that Hartig was probably the brewmaster in the partnership while Storck handled much of the equipment operation and maintenance]
Meanwhile in Milwaukee, Philip Hartig foils some burglars' attempt to enter his home. MS 1878 6/13-8/3.
Hartig and Storck sold their beer through local support and publicity. Posters for advertising weren't used until the mid-1880's when stock lithographs where first used. The demand for Storck & Hartig beer grew to 2,000 barrels a year by 1881. The brewery expanded and Storck built a home behind the brewery.
The Milwaukee Sentinel reports that a Mr. Storck's infant daughter, Bertha, dies on July 6, 1881, Pg3 Col.4.
Back in Milwaukee Carl Manz is leasing a malt hose from the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. MS 5/4-8/2 but the following year it's damaged by fire. MS 1881 1/1-2/4.
When William moved to Schleisingerville, he brought along he wife the former Louise [Louisa] Marshall of Milwaukee, and his almost new-born daughter Margaret, born on January 1, 1877. The young couple probably lived within the brewery as they later did when moving to Watertown. As the Hartig & Storck brewery grew, so did the two families; William added son Philip [named after his Uncle] on October 21, 1879, daughter Charlotte [or Lottie as she preferred to be called later on] on September 14, 1881, and a third daughter, Ida, born in 1882.
Otto Tiegs tells that William Hartig had dreams of owning his own brewery, sold he sold his interest on June 27, 1884 to the local train station agent, Charles Ehlert, for $6,000. [Appears that William either didn't have as much initially invested in the brewery, or he basically got out of it what he invested, if he and Storck went 50/50]. Anyway the Hartig family moved to Watertown and the rest of the Storck brewery is another story.
William Hartig In Watertown, Wisconsin
Wm. Hartig Brewery and Malt House (Rock River in the foreground)
Williams arrives in Watertown in the Summer of 1884; story has it that he initially went to work for the August Fuermann Brewery, then gets together with his cousin Charles [Carl] Manz [Not sure if Manz already lived in Watertown and if their partnership was part of an arrangement when William was supposed to have obtained a loan from his aunt, the widow Anna Maria Schlitz. There is talk of a loan from her that was to be paid back to at an interest rate of 4%. Whether this loan was made to purchase the brewery in Schleisingerville or in Watertown is not known.]
They purchase the City Brewery from Joseph Bursinger who went bankrupt in 1883. They actually purchased the property from its' assignee, J. H. Sleeper for $30,000.MS 1884 8/25-8/2. [William Jannke note: Carl Manz was not living in Watertown before William Hartig arrived. They jointly purchased the Bursinger brewery from his creditors in August, 1884. I have the transaction papers, and the bankruptcy papers from Joseph Bursinger.] [Editor's note: Carl Manz may have arrived with Hartig from Schleisingerville, perhaps they had already been working together?]
The 1885 Watertown City Directory is the first to list Hartig & Manz as brewers and maltsters on Cady Street. William Hartig's residence is the same address as the brewery and his cousin Charles Manz resides at 2nd and Cole Sts.
Charles Manz is the nephew of the late August Krug, founder of the Schlitz Brewery in Milwaukee. Charles or Carl (Karl) was the son of Anna Krug, August's sister, and may have been a beneficiary to his late Uncle Krug's estate.
The 1887 Directory shows that Paul Hoppe at 2nd and Emerald Sts. is the sole bottler of Hartig & Manz export beer, but by 1889 this location is now the Hartig & Manz Bottling Works. By 1897, the William Hartig Bottling Works is located at 100 Cady St., the brewery site. Other brewmasters associated with the brewery are William Fleuter, Norbert Schliewe, Henry Bully of Clyman, and Frank Finer.
In 1887 the William Hartig family grows with the birth of daughter Meta but tragedy strikes a year later when his six year old daughter Ida dies on March 6, 1888.
While the Hartigs and Manz family are growing, someone breaks into their old friend's Storck Brewery and makes off $500 in cash and 464 notes. MS 1889 8/29-7/2.
1892-93, William Hartig has an additional listing in the Directory as president of the Miller Reichardt Manufacturing Co.; an E. Miller is v-pres, Carl Scholl is secretary, and F. Vullmacher is the treasurer. The company is listed as a boiler works, foundry and with general machine shops at 5th and Market Sts.
William's family residence is listed at the corner of
Washington and Cady Sts. at 305 N. Washington. From this home (?) directly across
the Rock River from the brewery, a tunnel(s) was built to travel back and forth.
For many years a wooden bridge joined West and East Cady Streets, later replaced
by an iron version. [William Jannke note: The beer tunnels you speak of were built in 1859-1860 by Joseph Bursinger,
who, incidentally, bought his brewery from my ancestor, Jacob Hoeffner in 1854. No photos exist of Hoeffner or Bursinger, though I may have found
The Hartig & Manz brewery is located at 104-108 Cady Street and William and Louisa add their second son, William Jr., to the family on April 18, 1894.
[Editor Note - a Walter Uehlein is listed as a student at Northwestern University in Watertown in the 1892-93 City Directory - unknown relationship]
By 1896, William has bought out his cousin and changed the name to the Hartig City Brewery. Charles Manz moved to Water and Rock Sts. in 1887, then to William and Rock Sts. in 1889. The 1892-3 Directory has Carl or Karl Manz residing at 309 N. Church St. and is joined in the 1899 listing by his daughter, Miss Hedwig Manz, who may have been adopted by Carl and his wife [wife's name unknown]. Both of them remain this residence until the 1907-8 Directory when neither is listed. There is some mystery here, because it's reported that after Carl sold his interest to William, he moved to Milwaukee for a time, then died on-board a ship during a return visit to Europe in 1897. [Actually, a Milwaukee Sentinel article dated 4/7/1899 page 10 col.7, reports that Charles and his wife are returning to Germany]
The following is new information about the Manz family provided by a descendant, Pam:
The 1897 Directory lists the William Hartig Brewery, 100-112 Cady, with William Hartig as the proprietor, with offices at 100 Cady. The family residence is 305 N. Washington and remains so until 1966.
1897 also shows that the Miller Reichardt Manufacturing Co. has had a name change to the Watertown Manufacturing Co., at 108-114 6th St. with William Hartig as president. There is also a separate listing for the William Hartig Bottling Works at 100 Cady.
Innovation comes to the Brewery in 1897 with the Watertown Daily Times reporting, January 21, 1897, that Hartig is adding lighting, contracting with Watertown Manufacturing [probably his own company] to install a dynamo to power 100 incandescent lamps. [It's believed that the brewery had or so does have some arc-type lighting already]
By 1898 William has purchased the Fuermann Brewery located directly across the street on Cady. Due to mounting competition and it's said his sons inability to successfully run the business, August sells. [ August Fuermann started his career in brewing with my [William Jannke] ancestor, Jacob Hoeffner, and in the fall of 1848 he started his own brewery, located right across the street from what later became the Hartig Brewery. Today this is the site of the Watertown Municipal Building.]
The 1899 Directory lists son Phillip as a brewer with no mention of the Fuermann Empire Brewery, though Albert Fuermann, a son of August, is operating the Watertown Bottling Works at 1026 N. 2nd.
The Brewery's mascot was a goat which normally advertised their "Bock Beer", but was also put on display in the brewery yard for the school children to pet. The goat ate lavishly, probably both beer and the spent grains. The goat was wonderful. It was trained to walk into the brewery, tap three times, and it was given a dish of beer to drink. He often delighted crowds on Main St. as he led parades or pulled a small wagon usually loaded with a small barrel of beer. When he died, probably from over-eating and drinking, he was given a funeral that some compared to that of a human adult.
Some of the advertising slogans found in the Watertown early 1900 City Directories are; "Remember, For Purity or Flavor, Nothing Exceeds Wm. Hartig's Bottle Beer" , or "Wm. Hartig, Manufacturer of Hartig's Celebrated Lion Brew", or At Home Drink Wm. Hartig's Export Bottle Beer Phone No. 28".
Free "seidels" of beer were available at the brewery when a new beer was tested.
The 1902 Directory doesn't list daughter Margaret Hartig anymore because in 1901 she married Louis H. Kusel. The Kusels were involved with a hardware store and dairy operations in Watertown. [Don't know what part of the family business Margaret became part of.] They had daughter Louise Kusel, and sons Edwin and William. Seems like Margaret had the say for at least two of her children's names. [William Jannke, president of the Jefferson Dodge Genealogical Society reports that he visited with some present day Kusel relation and obtained some photos and relics, but no photo of William Hartig Sr. has been identified yet. Pictures of the brewery and some brewery equipment are supposed to be on display at the Historical Society's headquarters located within the Octagon House, but it is only open from May thru October.]
By 1902-03 it seems that William sold the Watertown Manufacturing Co.
1907-08, Phillip is the brewery's superintendent. Nothing much changes until 1911-12 when William Jr. is listed as a student attending Watertown schools and St. John's Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin. Then as a bottler in 1917. But in 1919, though listed as a bottler, his address is (USA). He enlisted in the Army and served in the Ordnance Dept, specifically as a Private First Class in the 457 Motor Truck Co. spending at least one year overseas.
William died without a will and since it was contested by family members, it went thru a lengthy probate [No. 125B] period. His estate was valued at $96,161.73 much of which had to be collected from numerous outstanding accounts resulting from sales of malt syrup, soda, and ice cream. Louisa received $32, 053.92 and each of the surviving children got $12.,821.77 minus inheritance taxes.
Louise is listed as William's widow in 1924, Philip H. Hartig is manager and William Jr. is assistant manager.
By 1927 Philip is President-Manager of The Hartig Co., sister Charlotte H. Hartig is V-pres., brother William H. Hartig Jr. is the Secr-Treas.
The family sold their interests in the brewery in June, 1945 to Harvey Roscoe of Minneapolis. He promptly ran the brewery into the ground and in 1947 it went bankrupt, and the buildings were torn down in 1953. Source: William Jannke
Charlotte and Meta continued living in the family home at 305 N. Washington St. The 1947 Directory lists a Harold F. McEvoy as Pres-Mgr. of The Hartig Co. He resided at Washington Hotel. Another interesting entry this year is that of a "Mrs. Mary Hartig (attended at Bethesda Lutheran Home)" - the only listing. [Could this be Meta?] [Editor's Note - Harold F. McEvoy is reported to be an uncle of Donald and Karen McEvoy, currently residing in Watertown - no further information about Harold's role in The Hartig Co. is known]
Update to Harold F. McEvoy
Meta [Mathilda] Hartig, a daughter who never married, died on April 20, 1952 [Jefferson Cty V25 P297(?)]
Col. J.W. Sproesser, president of the Merchants National Bank, last reported owner of The Hartig Co., donated some brewing equipment to the Octagon House [Historical Society]. During 1952-53, the Hartig brewery buildings are torn down to make way for a National Tea Store [Today - Tom's United Foods]
Charlotte or Lottie continued living on until her death on November 12,1968 [Jefferson Cty V44 P322, SSN 393-48-6394]at the Watertown Hospital of complications resulting from a fractured femur. The last listing for her at the family home was the 1966 Directory. Her death was reported by her sister Louis Kusel living at 216 N. Church St.
All of the Watertown Hartigs are buried in the family plot in Oak Hill Cemetery except for Margaret, who died on June 26, 1951 and is probably buried next to her husband, Louis, who passed away on June 7, 1947.
[Editor's Note: So ends the lives of the William Hartig family, except for descendents of Margaret Kusel, and the Hartig Brewery in Watertown. As additional information and pictures are uncovered, more will be added here and on the family tree.]
References: Milwaukee City Directories at the Milwaukee County Historical Society; Sanborn Fire maps of Watertown, Wisconsin; An article by Otto Tiegs "Local Support was Their Need for Survival...Storck Brewery Inc., first published in the American Breweriana Journal, July-August 1995 by the American Breweriana Association; William Jannke, president of the Watertown Historical Society.; The Watertown Daily Times newspaper, various issues on microfilm at the Watertown Public Library; the Reference Staff at the Watertown Public Library; The Chronological History of the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co., compiled and edited by Michael R. Reilly